cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suse vm with independent disk : folders are not found where they should when doing single file restore

grenief
Level 3

netbackup 7.5.0.4 (vmware policy type) running on Windows 2008 r2
vmware esxi 5 update 1
vm os : SuSe 11

I run full backups of Suse 11 virtual machines. The VMs contain at least 1 independent disk. The backup jobs complete successfully.
If I do a restore (Restore from Normal Backup...), When I look at the all folders available for restore, the different Mount point or disks are all missplaced.

For exemple, server A has 4 VMDK:
#1 for "/" (dependent)
#2 for "/logs" (dependent)
#3 for "/sources"(independent)
#4 for "/data"(dependent)

When I want to restore a single file (using Restore form Normal Backup...), I browse to the needed path and the data is not there. I mean, what should be in "/logs", is found in "/data". what should be in "/data" is found in "/sources".

It is not that the data is not recoverable, it's just not easy to find on a server that has 15 VMDK. If there is no independent disk, all the mount point are at the correct location.

Anyone came across this issue?
6 REPLIES 6

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Please have a look on NetBackup for VMware Administrator's Guide. In page 24, it is stated that independent disk can not be backuped up via VADP. You need to install NetBackup client on the VM, and take files on independent disk as standard file backup.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5162

grenief
Level 3

Thank you for the reply but I already know that (they are not included in the snapshot). I don't want the independent disks to be backed up. I just find odd all the files are missplaced when I'm looking for them in the restore window..

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

I assume you are to restore files on independent disk. As you know, Independent disk can not be backuped up via VADP. So you can not do single file restore from VM backup.

I think you wrongly understand tree view in BAR. It only displays directory structure, and its order is not related with disk layout.

grenief
Level 3

No, I'm not trying to restore files contained on the independent disk - they are not backed up.

Maybe I didn't explain my problem properly. I took some screenshots to make it easier to understand (see attached jpg)

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

Sorry, i understood that before posting previous post. Then, i wrote as below. Order and place in tree have nothing related with disk layout. Do'nt mind it.

I think you wrongly understand tree view in BAR. It only displays directory structure, and its order is not related with disk layout.

grenief
Level 3

ok then, sorry if I insisted. I didn't think it was normal to have to seek the file I'm looking for anywhere in the tree.

Thank you sir!