cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Netbackup 7.X [ .5 or .6 ] + DD 4500 Integration via Open Storage for NDMP

Abhijit_Srivast
Level 4

Hi All ,

Has somebody done the solution for NDMP backups with DD Domain using Open Storage than VTL .

Regards ,

Abhijit Srivastava

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I don't think that you can config NDMP backup directly to Advanced/OST Storage Unit.
It will be possible with VTL where config is exactly the same as physical tape.

Config OST disk pool(s) and STU for Master and/or Media server, then config NDMP as network backup.

See p. 19 of NetBackup for NDMP Administrator's Guide  

The process will be similar to the Backup to Media Manager storage units (remote NDMP)  topic.

Instead of MM STU on the master/media server, you will have OST STU on master/media server.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne

I don't think that you can config NDMP backup directly to Advanced/OST Storage Unit.
It will be possible with VTL where config is exactly the same as physical tape.

Config OST disk pool(s) and STU for Master and/or Media server, then config NDMP as network backup.

See p. 19 of NetBackup for NDMP Administrator's Guide  

The process will be similar to the Backup to Media Manager storage units (remote NDMP)  topic.

Instead of MM STU on the master/media server, you will have OST STU on master/media server.

Abhijit_Srivast
Level 4

Thanks Marianne , I havent figured it out yet but still i am thinking on different lines . Will kee you posted if i can figure out something .

Abhijit_Srivast
Level 4

EMC is saying that a DD box can be configured as an OST as wellas VTL and we are looking forward if that can happen as VTL will be used only for NDMP and OSt for other backup Applications .

Also there is an option where the data will move from the Filer will have to move over the LAN to netbackup media server which then writes it to DD-OST Device .This is called as Remote NDMPbackup and it will be slower than Direct NDMP Backups over FC to DD .

We are still figuring out what to implement in our design .

Marianne

Correct. Backup to OST media server is remote NDMP - as per my post above.

And yes, backup directly to DD will need VTL - as per my post above.

Hopefully EMC told you that VTL and OST are licensed separately?

Abhijit_Srivast
Level 4

yeah they told us and we are following the same now .