cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Netbackup SLP Duplication and NetBackup Vault

philiplj
Level 3

Hi,

I'm in the process of looking at configuraing Netbackup vault and I'm having trouble designing a vault strategy which fits within our current setup.

Just a brief Summary;

We are using Symantec  NetBackup 7.0.1.

One (1) Master Server (RedHat Linux)

Two (2) Media Server (Redhat Linux)

Two (2) PureDisk Servers. One is a SPA and the other is just another Content Router.

We are using SLP stirage units for backups and duplications.

Backups are mostly to PureDisk for LAN based client policies

Duplications are to Tape liibray.

I have multiple volume pools which segregates the Oracle tape backups from Normal filesystem level backups and organised by retention (Daily, weekly,etc)

How do i implement a vault strategy to offsite by backups that are already duplicated using the SLP duplication jobs?

I have thought of just creating a separate vault profile to eject the tapes in the specified volume pools. then configure a policy to run once a week or daily to caul this eject profile. is this a good strategy?

Options are welcomed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The vault profile just for eject that you suggests sounds fine - we use a similar one on our system that uses MSDP and SLPs to do everything else and vault just does the ejects

Run it when you like or have seperate vault profiles for Daily / Weekly etc.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

The vault profile just for eject that you suggests sounds fine - we use a similar one on our system that uses MSDP and SLPs to do everything else and vault just does the ejects

Run it when you like or have seperate vault profiles for Daily / Weekly etc.

philiplj
Level 3

Thanks. Sounds Good. However, If I create separate vault profiles for each retentention period, do i have to create separate vault policies or can I include a schedulesfor each retention in one Vault policy?

philiplj
Level 3

Just looked at the Vault Policy settings and looks like i will have to create a separate vault policy for each retention period as will need to pass the particular vault profile to vtlrun command for each schedule.

In the Vault policy, do i have to use vltrun <PROFILE NAME> or the vlteject command?

In the vault profile, do i have to select immediate or deferred eject?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

vltrun <profilename>

Immediate eject

philiplj
Level 3

Thanks. I'll give this a try and feedback results.

philiplj
Level 3

Hi,

I have configured the vault policy and run the policy manually.

The vault profile was executed and the desired tapes were ejected as expected,

Thanks for the helpful info.