cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synthetic backups / scheduling of backups

perez_cmz
Level 6

I've recently setup new synthetic policies. They haven't run yet; currently deactivated. From what I understand about the scheduling of full backups, these policies first require a non-synthetic full and incremental to run prior to the synthetic full.

This leads to my question. How do I make sure that the first time the policies run, that my non-synthetic full and incrmental backups run prior to the synthetic fulls for all the client in the policies ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

watsons
Level 6

if you're using "calendar" schedule type, you don't need to worry about that because you define when (and which one) it's going to start first and then. 

I believe your concern is that, what if I decide to activate the policy on a day, which is set to be running as synthetic backup... well, the job would fail anyway because it does not have any previous image to look at. Just choose to activate the policy on a full backup schedule date, followed by at least one incremental  backup.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You define a traditional full schedule and set frequency to the maximum number possible.

Netbackup will always run the schedule with the highest frequency first

Work brilliant at my shop.

perez_cmz
Level 6

Are you talking about changing the schedule type from "calendar" to "frequency" ? I currently use the calendar type schdule for the traditional full schedule.

watsons
Level 6

if you're using "calendar" schedule type, you don't need to worry about that because you define when (and which one) it's going to start first and then. 

I believe your concern is that, what if I decide to activate the policy on a day, which is set to be running as synthetic backup... well, the job would fail anyway because it does not have any previous image to look at. Just choose to activate the policy on a full backup schedule date, followed by at least one incremental  backup.

AnilaReddy
Level 3

initiate fist standard filesystem full backup using standard policy.... once full backup completed then schedule synthetic backups.

Wait till it run as per schedule, it should success now.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Yes I do.

You can also define a traditional full backup schedule without a opening windows and then select "manual backup" (selecting the schedule) every time you add a client to this policy.

A schedule without a opening windows will never run.

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

About the synthetic backup feature

Article:HOWTO23538  |  Created: 2010-01-01  |  Updated: 2011-07-30  | 

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO23538

See About duplicate backup set templates

See Best practices for synthetic backup

See Methods for creating a synthetic backup

See About collecting additional information for synthetic backup and true image restore