cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape Encryption

almir_spahic
Level 4
Hi everyone,

I backup up all my systems everynight with full backup.I want to do baremetal on my tape that stays on site and do encryption on tapes that goes offsite.What is the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance
5 REPLIES 5

dami
Level 5
Buy LTO4 or IBM TS1120/TS1130 tape drives which do hardware encryption and have minimal impact on performance and use KMS (NetBackup) or EKM/TKLM (IBM) for key management.

The alternatives - ie encrypt on the host before sending to tape or using NetBackup MSEO (Media Server Encryption Option)  - can prove to be restrictively time consuming if you have a lot of data.

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner
Media Server Encryption Option works fine, you can specify which copy, policy and pool is encrypted.
You have central server which stores policies and encryption keys and plugin for Media Server which install special tape drivers.
You can't manage MSEO from NB console, it's a product of Vormetric, but configuration in simple.. stored in text files.

Shashank
Level 4
Hi Almir

Tape encryption has not supported in NBU,only it supports data encryption.This is i confirm from Symantec Support.

Tinkerbell
Not applicable
Partner

shans
Level 4
Hi

Also you can encrypt your data using the fololowing cmd

first   U Want  to run bpinst -ENCRYPTION <Client Name> From the master server

Then Run the bpkeyutil -clients <Client Name> from the client .

Thanks