Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape Management

iaw
Level 5

Hi,

I have backup policy below:

Weekly Full with 1 mounth retention, seperate pool.
Daily Increment with 15 days retention, separate pool.

I would like to Copy "Last full backup" on each following month to different pool, change retention to 5 years, for off-site tape.
Then Full off-site tapes will be auto export from library, the schedule run weekly.

Is it possible to configure it, How?

Thanks,
IAW

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ontherocks
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

1. If I configured, start window 10pm-6am sun-sat, does it mean backup will run at 10pm daily?

It depends on the frequency you set in schedule, if its frequency based schedule. OR the specific days/dates selected if its calender based schedule.

2. If full backup is running, then increment backup going to run. Will the increment job in queue until full backup finish?

If full backup is running, incremental backup will not be going to run.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Symctec
Level 5
Partner Accredited

You can create a new schedule under the same policy, call it "monthly" or something in the same policy.

You have option to choose the "Calendar Scheduling" , and choose the specific dates backup need to run.

The "monthly" schedule will also run on that day.(but should be differnt time than weekly backups)

Also while creating the monthly schedule, you may assign different pool/retention as per requirement. 

Not sure if you have purchased vault option, you may use that as well for automatic ejection, reporting etc.

iaw
Level 5

Increment daily = start windows time 10pm - 6am
Full weekly = 9pm - 6am
Full Monthly = 8pm - 6am

Does it make sense, to make different time schedule?

What happen, if Full Monthly job is running while Full Weekly and Incr daily have schedule to run at the same?

Symctec
Level 5
Partner Accredited

The best way would be to go for a calendar based schedule, as far as I think it really doesnt make sense to run weekly/monthly backups run on the same date/time. Better take a monthly backup on last saturday of the month and weekly continue to happen on Sunday. (an example)

Both schedules will run and may affect backup speeds if they are scheduled at same time, but if really want to go that way better perform a few test runs befoe implementing in a production env.

For some customer the behaviour was that the least run(monthly) would get priority and weekly would be skipped but please test in your env if going for this type of solution.

huanglao2002
Level 6

Can you try to use vault function?

Symctec
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hello Iaw,

Do mark as solution if the replies are ok, also let us know if any queries.

Regards...

iaw
Level 5

Sorry, if these are silly questions.

1. If I configured, start window 10pm-6am sun-sat, does it mean backup will run at 10pm daily?

2. If full backup is running, then increment backup going to run. Will the increment job in queue until full backup finish?

Thanks

ontherocks
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

It depends on the frequency you set in schedule, if its frequency based schedule. OR the specific days/dates selected if its calender based schedule.

If full backup is running, incremental backup will not be going to run.