cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape management

MANUFAN
Level 3

Hi,

I am new to NBU and I have the following qn regarding tape usage.

Can you store data on a tape (tape is incomplete when removed) and come back to it later? If so, arent there consistency issues to be handled?  How does it impact performance?

Any help would be much appreciated. 

2 REPLIES 2

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

NetBackup keeps a record of where every backup is on every tape, and manages expiry of backups.  If you write to a tape but don't fill it, eject it, and some time later inject it, NetBackup will write the next backups beyond the last unexpired image - or if the all the images (aka backups) have expired then NetBackup will begin writing at the start of tape again.

If you're talking about taking media from one environment to another, then that's a different ball game.  As the second environment has no knowledge of the previous environment.

N.B. Never simply insert a tape that you want to read into a new environment without first at least write protecting it - or creating a media entry and assigning to a pool that isn't used for any backups.  If you insert a tape that want to read, with no write protection, into a new environment that i sbusy writing backups, then it is highly likely that your tape will be overwritten IF the new environment auto assigns media to the scratch pool.

Anyway, to read a tape in a.n.other environment you'll need to injext the media, and in the new environment run the two import phases before any data can be restored.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
FYI, as a test I imported a half full LTO1 (with about 90GB) on it the other day, via an LTO3 drive - and phase I import took about 1.5 hrs, and phase II import took about 4 hrs.  But your mileage will vary depending upon fragment size, number of images, number of files etc...