cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The different Robotic Type and Communication method of Tapes

vietanhhnus
Level 4

My system use Tape Library SL48  .

-- I read Netbackup Device config guide book but I don't understand different of robotic Type and communication method  robotic control software use  API and SCSI .

My Tape is TLD robotic type . How Do I check communication method is API or SCSI ? 
Please help me!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
If you scroll down a bit further on the same page in the device config guide (Robot overview), you'll see table 8-1 that describes the different robot types. The API types all have separate chapters in the same manual that describes the connection method and software that controls the robot. For example, the 1st API type in table 8-1 (ACS) is described in detail in chapter 11 in this manual.
As you can see in table 8-1, TLD is SCSI control. This means your robot is either SAN or direct SCSI connected. Here NetBackup will control the robot and not a separate piece of software.
See table 8-7 for more info on TLD type robot.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Level 6
If you scroll down a bit further on the same page in the device config guide (Robot overview), you'll see table 8-1 that describes the different robot types. The API types all have separate chapters in the same manual that describes the connection method and software that controls the robot. For example, the 1st API type in table 8-1 (ACS) is described in detail in chapter 11 in this manual.
As you can see in table 8-1, TLD is SCSI control. This means your robot is either SAN or direct SCSI connected. Here NetBackup will control the robot and not a separate piece of software.
See table 8-7 for more info on TLD type robot.

vietanhhnus
Level 4
Thank you so much .
I understand .
Have a nice week !

vietanhhnus
Level 4
Dear  Marianne van den Berg2

My Tape Library have 2 drives control . How Veritas Nebackup control it ?  How it performs backup and restore through 2 dries control ? 

Please help me !

Marianne
Level 6
After you have installed the tape drivers and disabled RSM, use the Device Config wizard. NetBackup will discover the devices and add it to it's device database. It will next configure a Storage Unit which will logically group the tape drives. You select the Storage Unit when you configure backup policies.

Hopefully your Symantec reseller is assisting you with installation and configuration?

If you are trying to install and configure yourself, you will have to spend some time reading the manuals first. If NetBackup is already installed, start with NetBackup Admin Guide I :
Chapter 1 (Introduction) has a section called 'How to Configure NetBackup'.
Links to all the manuals can be found here:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290282.htm

vietanhhnus
Level 4
thank you so much !
Have a nice day .

vietanhhnus
Level 4
Dear Marrianne !

I've completed netbackup client on Redhat 4 and disable firewall on  server and client .
Have ping  hostname both client and server .
But On server Netbackup i can't  add client to server  .  The information fail on Netbackup Server  : unable to add new SAN client .
I've add license client to netbackup server .

Please help me !