cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble pushing v8 to clilent - Cannot find the rsh command

Bruce_Clegg
Level 5

I've set up a new media server running netbackup 8.0.

I want to install the 8.0 client to the clients from the new server.  I've read through chapter 7 of the Symantec Netbackup Installation Guide.  I'm attempting to install via the rsh method.

I've got the version of the client software I want on the server:  cat/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/version

NetBackup-RedHat2.6.18 8.0

I'm not sure I understand what is required for the /.rhosts file, but I created a .rhosts file on the client:

<ip address> u1mannbu01p u1mannbu01p.int.digsigtrust.com

when I attempt to add the client from the GUI - I get:

Software installation messages:
hedberg-backup ...
Client hedberg-backup -- Linux hardware running RedHat2.6.18
Installing NetBackup software on hedberg-backup

ERROR: Cannot find the rsh command.

hedberg-backup install failed

So I'm not sure what the rsh command is or where to find it.  Any thoughts?  What am I missing?

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Forget about rsh on Linux server.
Rather use ssh method from cmd. (Also in Installation Guide).

Always good to test these remote commands at OS level before attempting to push NBU software.

our auditors are not going to allow root user logins - is there still a way to get the ssh method to work?

Marianne
Level 6
Any kind of software installation has a basic root user requirement. Not only NBU.

There has to be exceptions to any kind of rule. Ask them for a user id and password that will allow software installation.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Any security auditor will not allow the use of rsh, utterly insecure by today's standard.

Run /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/install_client_files ssh {client_name}

account asked for does not have to be the root account, script will place the Netbackup installation fiels  i /tmp. Run the installation script with the root account.

I appreciate your help.  I may be able to set up keys to allow ssh to all the servers from the media server.  But when I try your command I get:

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/install_client_files ssh graham

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/install_client_files must be run while logged in as root.

Is there a way around this?  Root access for ssh is a non-starter.  I'm looking for a way to install the client that doesn't involved copying it to the hdd of each server.

Marianne
Level 6
Ask your auditors for sudo access to NBU commands.

Another option would be to NFS share the software on a central server, but the requirement is once again for the software to be shared with root permissions.

As I have said before, root permissions for installation is not unique to NBU. The OS commands that are called also need root permissions.

You've offered some good solutions - but remote root access isn't going to work for us.  Many of the servers I need to back up are older and small - loading the install client package and untaring it is going to be an issue for several of the machines - are there instructions to create a smaller tar, containing the install files for just the OS I'm looking for that I can push out to the servers and install using it?