cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cron script to eject media

Jevon
Level 4

I'm building a tape eject script with the following assumptions:

• Operator error never occurs before or after their shift.
  • Operator will not break the MAP or tapes.
  • Operator's only skills are reading small words and pulling/pushing tapes.

I'm trying to build a cron script to eject media.  I'm having a problem with the vmchange command.

vmchange -res -multi_eject -ml ABC001:ABC002:ABC003 -rt tld -rn 0 -rh robotHostName

Originally I was using the -w flag, but this output assumes an operator has more skills than I am comfortable with (Missing:  Using a computer):

*** Eject volume batch #1 is ready to be removed ***
        remove 3 volume(s) from media access port(s) of robot number 0 now
        (press <RETURN> to continue)

Without the flag, the command seems to work,  UShortly afterwards, (30min as per documentation for -multi_eject), the tapes are moved back into the library.  I want to avoid this behavior. I can't assume the operator will remove the tapes imediately.  I just want them to open the library sometime during their shift and put the tapes they see in a box.

Is there anyway to lengthen the 30 minute timeout, or simply remove it altogether?  

Yes, I read (yet possibly skimmed) the following:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

From a command stand point there would really be no way to modify the 30 mins. It would be best to have the operator available during a time frame in which they can do it.

Maybe you could have cron email, or sms, the operator just after the vmchange is run to alert of the 30 min window?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

From a command stand point there would really be no way to modify the 30 mins. It would be best to have the operator available during a time frame in which they can do it.

Maybe you could have cron email, or sms, the operator just after the vmchange is run to alert of the 30 min window?

Jevon
Level 4

That is too bad.  The email alerting is a good idea.  

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This CAN be done.  Just add this setting to your vm.conf:

ROBOT_MULTIPLE_EJECT_TIMEOUT = <seconds>

This was introduced in 7.1 but darned if I can find anything in SymWISE describing it!

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Ahh, nice one Chris - I started to comment on this yesterday, but didn;t post in the end because I had a feeling there was a way to do it that I couldn't remember, and like yourself, couldn't find a TN.