cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Troublesome connection issue with the Java GUI (and Windows console)

rjrumfelt
Level 6

I know connection issues are difficult to pin down, but I thought I would give it a shot.  We recently deployed a new master server (our foray into 6.5.4) and when we attempt to use the java GUI, all is fine until we start accessing certain menus.  

The policy management window comes up and appears fine, but it takes it about 1 minute to open up any of the policy details for the first time.  Oddly enough, after that first policy, all the others seem to open up without any hesitation.  I've tried clicking on other policies initially to rule out any possibility that it might just be a problem with a policy (not really sure why there would be, but anyway).

Next I try to open up the "Storage Lifecycle Policy" menu.  This is when the GUI times out completely.  I get the error message below and then afterwards any changes I make to SLP, such as creating an SLP, do not take affect:

"Unable to fetch storage lifecycle policies.
Request has timed out"

I get a similar message regarding data classifications, which for me specifically is not a big deal since we do not use them.

I've checked the java logs (bpjava-susvc) and I do not see any obvious connection issues.  Does anyone know where else I could look for evidence of the GUI's timing out?  Is there something specific to SLP's and data classifications that could lead me in the right direction?  Or other logfiles that might be useful?

***EDIT***

I would also like to note that when we run the Java GUI from the master server using X-Windows back to the desktop, the connection problem does not seem to be there, however using X-Windows is painfully slow, so it is very difficult to get work done using it on a regular basis.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
On login window, what host did you specified as target host Setting the hostname that are different from that of master server(e.g. Hostname of IP for administrative purpose) here, sometimes causes GUI issue. I'm not sure it causes your issue, but if you did like above, try to add alias with nbemmcmd. # nbemmcmd -addalias -macinename your_masterserver_name -alias hostname_you_connect_to -machinetype master

rjrumfelt
Level 6
both in the hostfile as well as the login screen

this also occurs when using the windows console, and I've checked to make sure I've entered the server names correctly.

Amit_Karia
Level 6
Hi,

You can check max memory and initial memory in nbj.conf in master server
and set

SET FORCE_IPADDR_LOOKUP to 0 in setconf.bat in desktop where you have installed java console

path

C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Java\

Also ensure you unstall older version of java console from your dekstop if 6.0 console is already install

rjrumfelt
Level 6
that discusses issues with max memory and FORCE_IPADDR_LOOKUP, and made sure those settings were correct.  All versions are current.

Like I said, I'm perplexed.

rjrumfelt
Level 6
I've attempted to use X-Windows and run the Java console directly from the server, pulling the console to my desktop through the X window.  Running the Java GUI locally still produces the same error, so I dont think it is an issue with having to traverse firewalls.

Does anyone know what we are attempting to connect to when bringing up the SLP window?