cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to import tapes

Wyman_Chong
Level 3

Hi,
I acquired around 100 LTO1 tapes that were backed up using netbackup. I installed netbackup 6.5 and inserted around 6 tapes in a Dell PowerVault 128T. I clicked on Catalog and started an Import

At the Initialize import dialog box I selected Tape for Image type and since I did not know what to enter for Media ID I used NONE. 

Now I got the following after continuing....

Import phase 1 started 2/18/2009 5:14:49 PM
17:14:49 INF - Create DB information for media id NONE.
17:14:49 INF - Initiation of bptm process to phase 1 import media id NONE was successful.
17:14:52 INF - Media id NONE was not found in the volume manager database. It must be added to the volume manager database before it can be imported.
17:14:52 INF - Status = requested media id is not assigned to this host in the EMM database.

17:14:52 INF - Consult the Activity Monitor for more information about this job.

So how do I add Media id NONE to the volume manager database or is there something else I should be doing?

Thanks

27 REPLIES 27

Stumpr2
Level 6

I'm not certain about an imported tape having the same retention as they had when they were created. I think that the retention level is included in the image data. What was once a retention level "5" may have changed. When the image was created a retention level "5" could have been set to 1 month. Today the retention level "5" could be three days. Best to check.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

Stumpr is correct it will have the same retention level, and the level may have change. 

Thanks for catching that.

Wyman_Chong
Level 3

I checked and they were expiring a few days from now but just to be safe I froze them. I am still getting the connection error. Also, I downloaded the doc for Netbackup 6.5 and found the following on page 336:

Notes about importing backup images

NetBackup can import any disk images that were written by NetBackup 6.0 or later.

Does this apply to disk images and not tape images?

Stumpr2
Level 6

Frozen tapes still expire and the catalog information is removed. You will have to import them again if they expire. Best to recalculate the expiration for a longer time.

Wyman_Chong
Level 3

OK. So how do I extend the expiration date?
I went to Media -> Volume Groiups -> 000_00000_TLD right clicked on one of the tape Media ID's on "Change" and change the expiration date to either Date to a year from now or Never.
I then went to Netbackup->Magagement ->Tape Reports->Tape Lists and ran a report and found that the expiration date for that tape is 4/2/2009.
Is this done somewhere else?

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

"...OK. So how do I extend the expiration date?
I went to Media -> Volume Groiups -> 000_00000_TLD right clicked on one of the tape Media ID's on "Change" and change the expiration date to either Date to a year from now or Never.
I then went to Netbackup->Magagement ->Tape Reports->Tape Lists and ran a report and found that the expiration date for that tape is 4/2/2009.
Is this done somewhere else?..."

You're actually looking at 2 different things here. The expiration date you've set on the GUI is actually for the expiration of the PHYSICAL media i.e. the date after which you do not wish the tape to be used for backups (think of it as a 'Sell by' date)

To change the expiration of the 'images' have a look at the 'bpexpdate' command - there are many options:
e.g.
bpexpdate -d <date> <time> -m <media_id> to set a specific date
bpexpdate -recalculate -ret <retention_level> -backupid <backup_id> to recalculate expiration of a specific backup based on a new retention level.

Wyman_Chong
Level 3

Thanks. Changed the expiration date to infinity my next problem is the errors I am getting during the phase 2 import I listed in a previous message. Any ideas?

Nitin_bhosale
Level 3