cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to import tapes

Wyman_Chong
Level 3

Hi,
I acquired around 100 LTO1 tapes that were backed up using netbackup. I installed netbackup 6.5 and inserted around 6 tapes in a Dell PowerVault 128T. I clicked on Catalog and started an Import

At the Initialize import dialog box I selected Tape for Image type and since I did not know what to enter for Media ID I used NONE. 

Now I got the following after continuing....

Import phase 1 started 2/18/2009 5:14:49 PM
17:14:49 INF - Create DB information for media id NONE.
17:14:49 INF - Initiation of bptm process to phase 1 import media id NONE was successful.
17:14:52 INF - Media id NONE was not found in the volume manager database. It must be added to the volume manager database before it can be imported.
17:14:52 INF - Status = requested media id is not assigned to this host in the EMM database.

17:14:52 INF - Consult the Activity Monitor for more information about this job.

So how do I add Media id NONE to the volume manager database or is there something else I should be doing?

Thanks

27 REPLIES 27

hammers09
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

i acquired 100 tapes - what do you mean?

are you trying to import the backup images or just reuse the tapes

Wyman_Chong
Level 3

Sorry about that. I need to restore the data in the tapes.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

your tapes do have barcodes on them right?

if yes, when it ask for media ID put in the barcode (media id you see when you look at media in the gui).

Wyman_Chong
Level 3

They have barcodes but the software is not able to read them. It was able to read one of the tapes we already have. The barcode layout is a bit different. Here is the output I got from the inventory...

-----
2/19/2009 9:44:25 AM > Inventory  for TLD(0) on msr-dlt
-----

Robot Contents

Slot    Tape  Barcode     

====    ====  ============

1     Yes  -none-

2     Yes  000007L1     

3      No

4      No

Tape 2 is ours.

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified

Do you have a robotic library, or stand-a-lone drives?

I think you'll need a stand-a-lone if you're trying to use media without barcodes (or unreadable barcodes)

If you have a hundred tapes with labels you can't read -- I suggest you buy some labels and re-label the tapes.

Message Edited by Nathan Kippen on 02-19-2009 11:10 AM

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

By relabel I hope you are suggesting that they buy readable labels to replace the barcodes on them now.

Note... That if you use barcoded tapes, they barcode HAS to MATCH what is written at the beginning of the tape.

do not do the 'relabel' option to the tape from he GUI, doing that you will then NOT be able to import the tapes.

but using a stand alone tape drive you should be able to do this.

you could also try using rob test to move the tape to a tape drive,

then look and see what label the tape drive is showing for the tape, and then do the import using that label.

Darren_Dunham
Level 6

@J.Hinchcliffe wrote:

Note... That if you use barcoded tapes, they barcode HAS to MATCH what is written at the beginning of the tape.

That's the default that a robot inventory will assume, but it's not required.  You can use 'vmphysinv' to or 'vmchange' to modify the volume database so that the correct barcode is tracked for the media.

-- 

Darren

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified
What else would I be suggesting?  I would hope they don't buy labels they can't read.  That's just silly.

Wyman_Chong
Level 3

Ok. Found that the reason it was not able to read the images is that the Robot loader had a very old version of the firmware. So Now I can read the barcode labels correctly.

This is what I have done so far...

Select Catalog and click on Initiate import

WHen asking for the MEDIA ID I enter A00001 and see the following on the log file...

Import phase 1 started 2/19/2009 6:35:22 PM
18:35:22 INF - Create DB information for media id A00001.
18:35:22 INF - Initiation of bptm process to phase 1 import media id A00001 was successful.

Question: Am I supposed to do same for all the tapes (Do an Import for A00002, A00004 etc)?

I am assuming the next step is to do a phase 2 import which is the actual import process. I clicked on actions and the import option is greyed out. Am I missing something?

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

(Nathen - I was refering to replacing the barcodes or useing the 'relable' option on the physical tape.  I just wanted to make sure they did not do that).

Now that you have phase1 done on your first tape.

click the images list and then go to do the phase2 import.

The manul has great instructions for this.

and yes you will have to do phase1 and phase2 on all tapes.... How old are you now... will you live long enought to import all the tapes?

Gerald_W__Gitau
Level 6
Certified
Ok...after the initial import (you need to do this for all 100 tapes!) MOVE the tapes to netbackup pool (assuming you have a scratch pool). Then go to catalog, under Action select import and then under media, enter the media ID A000001 and select a previous date say 1 Janaury 2000. Leave the rest of the fields as they are and hit search now. You will see the images to import, select all and right click and select import.

Wyman_Chong
Level 3

The LTO library I got only has space for 18 tapes. So I just did a phase 1 and phase 2 import. I got the following in the phase 2 import...

"C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd\bpimport.exe" -Bidfile "C:\Documents and Settings\wymanc\Local Settings\Application Data\Symantec\NetBackup\20090313175814.bid" -L "C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\Logs\user_ops\REDMOND\wymanc\logs\jbpImport2-20090313175814.log" -M msr-dlt -l

Import phase 2 started 3/13/2009 5:58:14 PM
17:58:15 INF - Importing policy mmminime, schedule Full (mmminime._1036720981), media id A00005, created on 11/07/2002 18:03:01.
17:58:46 INF - Import of policy mmminime, schedule Full (mmminime._1036720981) failed, file read failed.

17:58:46 INF - Status = no images were successfully processed.

Do I need to do a phase 1 import on all 100 tapes?

Thanks

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

you have to do phase 1 on all tapes.

do phase 2 of you want to be able to restore from the tapes.

after a while the info you get from phase1 will go away so don't depend on that to be avail latter in 'case' you need to do a phase 2.

you could just make a report out of the phase 1 info.

Wyman_Chong
Level 3

OK. Ran phase 1 on all the tapes and trying a phase 2 import I am now getting...

/17/2009 6:33:51 PM - begin Import
3/17/2009 6:34:23 PM - Error bpbrm(pid=4964) socket read failed, An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.  (10054)
3/17/2009 6:34:23 PM - Error bpimport(pid=1688) Import of policy mmminime, schedule Full (mmminime._1036188372) failed, file read failed. 
3/17/2009 6:34:54 PM - Error bpbrm(pid=4552) socket read failed, An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.  (10054)
3/17/2009 6:34:54 PM - Error bpimport(pid=1688) Import of policy mmminime, schedule Full (mmminime._1036720982) failed, file read failed. 
3/17/2009 6:35:25 PM - Error bpbrm(pid=4952) socket read failed, An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.  (10054)
3/17/2009 6:35:25 PM - Error bpimport(pid=1688) Import of policy mmminime, schedule Full (mmminime._1036188373) failed, file read failed. 
3/17/2009 6:35:56 PM - Error bpbrm(pid=5800) socket read failed, An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.  (10054)
3/17/2009 6:35:56 PM - Error bpimport(pid=1688) Import of policy mmminime, schedule Full (mmminime._1036720981) failed, file read failed. 

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

are you doing this via gui or command line?

Can you give info on how you did the phase 2

( tape is still in the library correct?)

If the tape was owned by a media server that does not exist in this enviroment you may have to setup your force ownership for it.

Wyman_Chong
Level 3

I am doing it via GUI.

I went to Netbackup Management->Catalog

Did a search which found several backup entries.

I selected one...

sabackips01_1050000 Media ID A00189 (Which is still in the library)

I selected the entry and <right click> import and got this..

3/19/2009 10:12:58 AM - begin Import
3/19/2009 10:13:30 AM - Error bpbrm(pid=5892) socket read failed, An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.  (10054)
3/19/2009 10:13:30 AM - Error bpimport(pid=4532) Import of policy CATALOG_BACKUP, schedule full (sabackips01_1050815543) failed, file read failed. 
3/19/2009 10:13:30 AM - Error bpimport(pid=4532) Status = no images were successfully processed.     
3/19/2009 10:13:31 AM - end Import; elapsed time: 00:00:33
no images were successfully processed(191)

As far as forcing ownership, I am assuming I needed to

go to Volume Groups Click on the volume group with the tape in question

right click on it and select Change Media owner

Select the Media ID.

And select the Media server name for Media owner

Click OK.

Tried phase 2 import and got the same error.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

is the image you are improting from a Policy called Catalog_Backup?

I have never tried to import a catalog backup and don't know if you really can.

Try to import an image from something other then a catalog backup.

Wyman_Chong
Level 3

I just happened to use that entry. I have tried importing other images where the Policy name is mmminime. One question I have now that you mention this is that the tapes were given to me to restore so I don't have any policies called mmminime. Also, I am using netbackup 6.5 and looking at the catalog date for the tapes is 11/25/2002 and don't know what version of netbackup was used. Are there any issues with trying to restore it with possibility that it was backed up with an earlier version of Netbackup?

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

I read once in the documentation that ALL tapes made on previous versions are restorable by the current version.

policy does not matter - so long as the tape is owned by the master or a media server ( as you are doing the import it gets owned) you should be able to do your restores.

As they are old you might want to look at the retention times on the tapes(images) that you import.  As the images will get the same retention time as they had when made. So if they were made with 2 weeks, the import image will expire in two weeks so if you want to keep them longer you can freeze the tape until you are done, or change the retention time.