cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to verify NDMP Host

Henning_General
Level 4

Hello,

I´m using Netbackup 7.5 on a Windows Server 2008R2. I have got a robot libary (LTO3) with six drives. I can catalog and import the LTO tapes without any problems. The tapes a written with NDMP.

I have got a SAN network with the libary, a robot, the server 2008r2 with NBU and celerra ns 480. There are all conncted via Fibre Channel to a SAN switch (there a all in the same zone). 

The license for NDMP is activated. I have got root access on the ns480. The NDMP service is already started.

Now my problem is, how can I connect NBU with the fibre channel to the ns480 ? I want to restore the LTO3 tapes via NDMP at the celerra ns 480.

regards,

Henning

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

just highlevel steps...

1) the User accout name should be "ndmp" nothing else..

2) the ndmp filer should have a network communication with netbackup server.

3) if you have media server connected with tape drive and can read the data from LTO 3 tape then you need to make sure  tpautoconf -verify <ndmphost> also working from Media server  and then try the restore.

4) if you do not have meida server and need to use filer to deal with tape drives , then you need to make sure tape drivers are connencted physically to filer.

5) then configure tape drives to the filer & storge unit as NDMP staroge unit

6) then make sure tape is under contorl of robot then start the restore..

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Have you added credentials in NBU for NAS server? Do you have the NBU for NDMP Admin Guide?

Henning_General
Level 4

Yes, I have added the root credentials in NBU for the NAS Server. 

And Yes I have got the admin guide.

jim_dalton
Level 6

Have you tested that the credentials have access to the filer from the master? tpautoconf -verify <ndmphost>

Sample result:

Waiting for connect notification message...
Opening session--attempting with NDMP protocol version 4...
Opening session--successful with NDMP protocol version 4
  host supports MD5 authentication
Getting MD5 challenge from host...
Logging in using MD5 method...
Host info is:
  host name "myfiler"
  os type "NetApp"
  os version "NetApp Release 8.1.2 7-Mode"
  host id "a1b2c3d4"
Login was successful
Host supports LOCAL backup/restore
Host supports 3-way backup/restore

?

If this isnt the case then NB doesnt have access, thats where you need to start.

Out of interest, where were the backups taken from? The same host?

Marianne
Level 6
I do not have access to manuals right now, but there is another doc as well. Something like NDMP Appliance guide. There is a section for each supported filer. If memory serves me right, certain filers need credentials for another user, not root. ndmp I think. And it might be for EMC filers. I will check when I get a chance but not anytime soon. .. Sorry. ..

Michal_Mikulik1

The topology and problem description are a bit confusing. A schema picture would be better.

I guess you backup from NAS to Windows Media Server via NDMP, and a target device is LTO? Then you dont necesarilly need direct connection between tape drive and NAS for restore, you can restore the same way back.

"how can I connect NBU with the fibre channel to the ns480"  - I dont understand, please try to reformulate.

Michal

Henning_General
Level 4

Hello jim dalton,

yes the backups are from the nas (ns480). But we have got a new Server without any backups from the old server.

I don´t know, how Netbackup can get a connection via the fibre channel to the SAN ?  In the Backup Network the only conncetion is the SAN (you understand my problem/question ?)

RamNagalla

just to continue the Marianne post

Known restrictions
The username  must be defined as ndmp for each data mover for EMC celerra

so chage the username in Netbackup for filer as ndmp once the user account is created in celerra, then validate the communication with tpautoconf -verify <ndmphost>

Henning_General
Level 4

Hello michal1967,

in the appendix is a picture of the topology. 

I need only the restore from the old LTO3 Tapes to the NAS. 

The problem is, I don´t know, how NBU can get a connection (at the SAN) to the nas. 

When I try  tpautoconf -verify hostname

I get the information - This ndmp host name doesn´t exist. NDMP failed to verify host

jim_dalton
Level 6

Your filer also has to have network access that NB will use to transfer data , including the credentials for tpautoconf . The backup data will go direct over fibre, but can go over network - thats 3-way. I too have read that the user has to be ndmp for emc...and having not proven that another user works...we use ndmp user and that does work on our emc. If the same host took the backups the good news is the data will be restorable! I dont think theres a restricton on filer OS version ...anyone care to say one way or the other?

So just do as ramnagalla suggests: change of username to ndmp in NB, test NB can talk to the filer. Jim

Henning_General
Level 4

RamNagalla,

I need to create a user account (for example ndmp_test) at the celerra ? Need the user some special rights or a special configuration ?

@ All Thanks for your help !

Henning_General
Level 4

Have a look at the network chema.

Maybe that can help you.

jim_dalton
Level 6

https://community.emc.com/docs/DOC-26541

You'll read some guy saying you can set the user as you wish, but I'd stick with ndmp and also go for MD5. It works for us, no issues.Jim

RamNagalla

just highlevel steps...

1) the User accout name should be "ndmp" nothing else..

2) the ndmp filer should have a network communication with netbackup server.

3) if you have media server connected with tape drive and can read the data from LTO 3 tape then you need to make sure  tpautoconf -verify <ndmphost> also working from Media server  and then try the restore.

4) if you do not have meida server and need to use filer to deal with tape drives , then you need to make sure tape drivers are connencted physically to filer.

5) then configure tape drives to the filer & storge unit as NDMP staroge unit

6) then make sure tape is under contorl of robot then start the restore..

Henning_General
Level 4

Hello RamNagalla,

thanks for your help. Now I´m able to connect to the nas.

the tpautoconf -verify  command show me the following:

Connecting to host "ndmp_nas" as user "ndmp_new"...
Waiting for connect notification message...
Opening session--attempting with NDMP protocol version 4...
Opening session--successful with NDMP protocol version 4
  host supports TEXT authentication
  host supports MD5 authentication
Getting MD5 challenge from host...
Logging in using MD5 method...
Host info is:
  host name "server_2"
  os type "DartOS"
  os version "EMC Celerra File Server.T.5.6.52.2"
  host id "abc1997"
Login was successful
Host supports LOCAL backup/restore
Host supports 3-way backup/restore

Now my question is, how can I restore the imported LTO Backups to a directory on the NAS ? 

Thanks a lot!

Henning

RamNagalla

Hi Henning..

happy to help... 

for restore, where these tape drivers are connected? did you connected them to the NAS filer or do you have the media server to perfrom the tape read operaitons?

if connnected to NAS filer, did you configure the NDMP type storage unit?

Henning_General
Level 4

Hi,

the tape drives are not connected to nas filer. They are only connected to the Media Server.

regards,

Henning

Marianne
Level 6

Were original (imported) backups for EMC Celerra as well?

Or another type of filer?
You can only restore to 
 EMC Celerra if original backup was for  EMC Celerra.

The alternate restore should start with initial 'Specify NetBackup Machines and Policy Type' screen.

Server to be used for backups and restores will always be the master server.

Source client for restores is the client on which the backups were performed. 
This will be the name of NDMP filer for which images were imported.

Destination client for restores is the NDMP host that you will restore to.

Policy Type for restore: NDMP

Henning_General
Level 4

Hi Marianne,

I want to restore to the same host (EMC Celerra), by which the tapes are backuped.

I used your suggestion for the settings.

When I try to (Action -> Restore) restore everything to a different location, than this error will appear: Unable to connect to Netbackup host "..." 

regards,

Henning

Marianne
Level 6

You cannot browse for NDMP location because there is no NBU client software installed.

You need to type the new destination manually.

PS:

The issue in your opening post "Unable to verify NDMP Host" has been resolved.

Please start a new discussion for NDMP restore issue.