cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unusual NetBackup / Solaris zones configuration - how to use different masters from different zones?

ian_brogden
Level 2
I have some "unusual" customer requirements, and need some NetBackup guidance.

Background:

I have a shared SAP cluster (VCS), Solaris, SAP on Oracle.
I am using NetBackup 6.5.4.

There are multiple SAP instances (like 50). The instances are now split between two companies (company is spitting into two different entities).

One of the two companies has decided to get their own storage and NetBackup environment. Previously, they were on a shared storage/NetBackup infrastructure (shared with other companies, a multi-tenant data center).
So, now I have Company A on the old storage and NetBackup environment.
Company B is being moved to their own storage.

I have to be able to continue backing up the SAP instances of Company A to one NetBackup environment.
I now have to backup the SAP instances of Company B to a different NetBackup environment (different master).
We are using the NBU SAP Agent, NBU clients in each local zone.

Company A uses a set of NBU media servers (dedicated, just do NBU), and all backups go over a dedicated backup VLAN.
Company B wants to use the SAP hosts as their media servers (build into global zone to backup their clients on the cluster, as well as other NBU clients).

The good news is that the SAP instances are separated into different Solaris local zones, by company.

The bad news is my NetBackup engineer is saying that the bp.conf file means I cannot have one NetBackup client go to Master A, and another client on the same host (or cluster, really) go to Master B.

I am hoping there is a way to configure a different bp.conf file per local zone, so that the NBU clients of Company A talk to NetBackup Master A, and the NBU clients of Company B talk to NetBackup Master B. Any thoughts?
2 REPLIES 2

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6

Aas long as you are staying within individual containers/local zones you can acvhieve what you are lookign for.  You can have container A getting backup to NB server X anf container B getting backup to NB server Y. Each zone has its own bp.conf file and you can control the configuration from there unless you have designed backups to run through Global zones  only but in that case I doubt you are using SAP agent.

Mike_Gavrilov
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I think it's better to check it your NetBackup guys are right. It TechNote  http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/315561.htm we can read: "Local zone support is limited to standard client, database agents, master server, disk media server and Bare Metal Restore client".