cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update to Solaris SXCE build 121 breaks GUI display

dennis_sexton
Level 5
Hi,

I have just updated my desktop system from Solaris SXCE build 101 to SXCE build 121. jnbSA and jbpSA no longer
display properly. I just get an unusable box with no login windows. It doesn't matter whether I do a remote display
from the server to my desktop (the way I usually do things) or use the local version. I am  using Netbackup 6.0 MP4.

I have an Nvidia graphics card and
these nvidia graphics drivers, if anyone thinks that might matter.

NVDAgraphics 185.18.14,REV=2009.05.30.20.38
NVDAgraphicsr 185.18.14,REV=2009.07.01.22.29

Any thoughts on how to trouble shoot this greatly appreciated. I understand "unsupported", but I'd really like
to make it work without going badck to build 101.
3 REPLIES 3

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

There are two common approaches you can use when dealing with unsupported software/OS.

1. Make sure you have latest application version. You are using NBU 6.0MP4 which is outdated for couple of years and I'm wondering why it should work with bleeding edge development snapshots of OS.
2. Check SUN's release notes, they might change some small thing which you need to consider or maybe some small reconfiguration required for it.

I doubt if you can do something with jnbSA, ball is completely on Sun's court.

dennis_sexton
Level 5
Yes I'm sure it is Sun's problem. I was just hoping that there might be  someone else  who hasealready tried using
a "really new" version of solaris on their management workstation and figured out what to do.

I did get a bit of feedback from the opensolaris  site. I was asked to provide the gui software. I am wondering
if jnbSA  has to have a server in order to display? If so, just providing the jnbSA bits wouldn't help anyone
 diagnose the problem. Is that true?

Reagan
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified
Managing an Enterprise backup environment with an unsupported OS is not a good idea to begin with.  Why not use Solaris 10, its also free?
Anyway, try using the CDE environment which I believe works the best with jnbSA.  If you have a Windows desktop, you can install the Netbackup Java Administration Console.  If you have an Apple desktop, you could you X11 and connect to jnbSA.