cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updateing the media ids in the Media List report

JerseyCane
Level 3
Hello all,

I have several LTO tapes in my StorageTek device that do not show up in the drop down list for the Media Lists report.
I've refreshed the inventory and the tapes show up in the proper Volume Pool and show having the proper Robot type, but do not show up in the drop down for the Media Lists report.
Any help is ofcourse greatly appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9

TreyT
Level 3
Are the tapes assigned with images on them? If you are speaking to the report I think you are they don't show up unless they have valid images on them to report on.

JerseyCane
Level 3
Yes, the tapes have been previously written to. According to our rotation cycle, these tapes are due to be overwritten.
By the way, I am using 5.1 MP3 on a Windows 2000 SP4 server.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
have you tried just typing in the media id.

you know you can do that, you do not need to choose it from the pull down list.

JerseyCane
Level 3
Yes, I've tried typing in the name of the media id.
When I do that I receive the following error message ...

"Error from Master Server XXXXX"

"requested media id was not found in NB media database and/or MM volume database"

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

@JerseyCane wrote:
Yes, the tapes have been previously written to. According to our rotation cycle, these tapes are due to be overwritten.

I think this confirms what TreyT posted - the tapes that you are trying to report on no longer have valid images on them (i.e. they have all expired). The media list report will only report on those media that it can interrogate on the db that have valid images.
You could confirm this by checking in the "Media & Device Manager" section in the GUI. Under "Media" the media that you are trying to interrogate will not have anything in the "Time Assigned" column. (e.g. Scratch tapes).

JerseyCane
Level 3
Under Media & Device Manager - Media, only 9 out of the 16 tapes have nothing in the "Time Assigned" column.
When I ran a Media Summary report, only 7 of the 16 tapes showed up in the report. Of those only 1 tape showed up as being already expired, "FROZEN".

I am completely lost here.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

@JerseyCane wrote:
Under Media & Device Manager - Media, only 9 out of the 16 tapes have nothing in the "Time Assigned" column.

This would suggest to me that these 9 tapes no longer have any valid images - they have all expired & the tapes can now be re-used for backup (either left in their current Pool or re-assigned to Scratch or wherever). As an aside: there is still data on them until they are re-used, so if really needed it could be imported back into the NetBackup db, but I would've thought that they had a retention period on them for a reason i.e. they are no longer required.

@JerseyCane wrote:

When I ran a Media Summary report, only 7 of the 16 tapes showed up in the report.

These tapes still have images on them that you can restore from. The 'Tape Lists' report will show you when they are due to expire, whereupon they can be re-used or re-assigned by NetBackup as above.

@JerseyCane wrote:

Of those only 1 tape showed up as being already expired, "FROZEN".

For whatever reason, NetBackup has deemed this tape unviable for continuing to use to backup images. It may be that it was just a dirty tape head or some other reason that caused a backup to fail (usually 3 times within 12 hours?). This tape will stay FROZEN until you manually UNFREEZE it, at which point it will become available for use again. However, I would physically check it just in case it IS unusable (lost tape leader etc etc etc).

@JerseyCane wrote:

I am completely lost here.

Don't worry! Smiley Wink

Nothing you have said in your original post looks to be a problem - if there are no images on particular media then there are certain areas within NetBackup (reports etc) where you will not be able to interrogate them.

JerseyCane
Level 3

Andy Welburn wrote :

This would suggest to me that these 9 tapes no longer have any valid images - they have all expired & the tapes can now be re-used for backup (either left in their current Pool or re-assigned to Scratch or wherever). As an aside: there is still data on them until they are re-used, so if really needed it could be imported back into the NetBackup db, but I would've thought that they had a retention period on them for a reason i.e. they are no longer required.

If these tapes are in fact expired, can I un-expire them ? If so, how ?
How do I import them back into the NetBackup db ?

Andy Welburn wrote :

These tapes still have images on them that you can restore from. The 'Tape Lists' report will show you when they are due to expire, whereupon they can be re-used or re-assigned by NetBackup as above.

This is all comes back to the fact that the Tape Lists report does not display the tape (media) I am looking for in the drop down for the media id.

Thanks again for all your help.
I don't normally get this involved in NetBackup.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
First - are you sure you want to import them back - if they expired are they not suppose to be?

anyway you have to do the import - which can that a very long time for each tape.

Importing Tapes In Netbackup

These steps take a long time.

First step is to create a list of images on the tape.

1. Insert the tape into the robot and inventory the robot.  This should add the media ID to the Media Manager.
  2. In the NetBackup Administration Console, expand NetBackup Management > Catalog.
  3. Select select the menu item Actions > Initiate Import.  The Initialize Import dialog appears.  Select a media server in the Media Host box and enter the tape label you have inserted into the Media ID text box and hit OK.
  4. Click OK on the Catalog dialog that appears.
  5. Click on the Catalog Results tab to see NetBackup look at each image on the tape and determine whether or not it has expired and can be imported.  The job also displays in Activity Monitor as an Import type.

Second step is to actually import the images.

1. In the NetBackup Administration Console, expand NetBackup Management > Catalog
  2. Set up the search criteria to find imported images by setting the search action to Import.  Be sure to select a date range that includes the images you want to import and select Search Now.  The media ID will not show up in the Media ID drop down. (only set the date range do not fill out any other fields.)
  3. Right click on the image(s) you wish to import and select import.
  4. Select OK on the confirmation box that opens.
  5. When the job is complete you may do a restore as usual.