Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from Netbackup 5 to version 6 on HPUX platform

soumendranath_d
Level 3
Partner
hello,

am facing some problem while upgrading netbackup ver 5 to ver6.
we have netbackup 5 with MP1 installed on HPUX 9000 platform.
with Oracle unix backup agent & one linux and windows backup agent installed
in other servers.
Currently we are trying to upgrade the netbackup from version 5 to 6.
we have got the upgrade kit and license for the same.
I found that, in order to upgrade the same, MP4 for version 5.0 must be
installed in the server.
Now the MP6 is available for netbackup 5.0.

Can someone please help/ guide me with the proper stapes, how to upgrade
from netbackup 5.0 to 6 in HPUX platform.

Regards,
Soumen
7 REPLIES 7

zippy
Level 6
Das,

Look at this link

http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?messageID=4431071鳟

Remeber ALLWAYS keep your original /usr/openv unitl you are happy that ALL things work on the new system!

UPGRADE a Copy of the original!

Setup Soft links to /usr/openv

Remeber to keep a copy of /sbin/init.d/netbackup "cp -rp /sbin/init.d/netbackup /sbin/init.d/netbackup.5.0

Good luck

JD

Julien_Mari
Level 4
Hi,

Yes upgrade to the latest patch for the 5.0.

Be sure that all your clients and media are at least version 5.0. Clients on 4.5 are not supported by netbackup 6.

And before doing the upgrade check your images DB : bpdbm -consistency If you have so error in there I'm pretty sure you will have problem with the nbpushdata command.

Good luck ;)

soumendranath_d
Level 3
Partner
Hello James..

Good suggestion !!!..
we are planning to keep the existing system. and perform the new verion on a new system first, if it is sucessful then we will upgrade the original.

am planning to upgrade the master server first. i will have to install the MP 6 first on the server. and then i have to perform the upgrade to ver 6. But I want to know about the oracle agent. After upgrading the master server how to upgrade the oracle agent.

if u have any documents on this.

Regards
Das

zippy
Level 6
Das,

If the master is upgraded to 6.X and the server that has 5.x netbackup and Oracle running on it this will not be a problem for you, Netbakup and it's extensions are forward compatable.

Das jim needs points?

PS remeber when you upgrade the copy do a backup test on a few servers, and use tape that have no data on them, write those tape numbers down or configure them into a seperate pool.

JD

Stumpr2
Level 6
I have heard that the "trick" for a successful migration is to immediately go to MP2 BEFORE anything can be done in the vanilla 6.0

Lance_Hoskins
Level 6
With regards to what Bob said and with some experience with NBU 6.0 on the Windows side (starting at vanilla and working our way up to MP2), I'd say wait until MP3 and go DIRECTLY to it. :)

Stumpr2
Level 6
Lance - LOL

What makes you think MP3 will be any better?
I think the MP3 will be the same old song.

Bob Stump
Incorrigible punster -- Do not incorrigeBS