cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to NB 6.5.2 last night now I got two incrementals from each machine in the same night

Chris_Valentine
Level 3
My Incremental jobs are setup to start at 10:40pm every night with a window ending at 8am the following morning.  These are one a calander schedule with recurring weekdays of Mon-Thurs.  Before the upgrade the job would start either that night or the early morning and only run once but now the job started at 10:40pm like it should and then within the same "single window block" it would run again the following morning also right after the other would finish?  Anyone else know why this would happen and how I can make it stop besides starting my jobs at 12?

Thanks,

-CV
8 REPLIES 8

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
There could be a number of factors that have caused this or a combination of them!

Firstly, with calendar based backups running Mon-Thurs and your backup window overlapping 2 consecutive days (late pm - early am) it could be that NB is doing what you are asking (or what it thinks you are asking) i.e. Do Mondays backup late pm in "Mondays" window then do Tuesdays backup early am but in "Mondays" backup window? (That sounded ok until I came to write it down! Smiley Very Happy )

Also, the upgrade to 6.5.2 affects multi-streamed backups: incrementals carried out as fulls the first time they are run after an upgrade (see Tech Note:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/304269  ). So maybe having run an incremental as a full NB has decided that it needs to run it as an incremental. (Again, that sounded ok until I came to write it down!)

Could be that it will be ok from now on - let us know.

Sorry if the above is a bit vague but I think I need a bit more coffee to wake me up Smiley Wink

Seth_Bokelman
Level 5
Certified
We're seeing the same behavior change with NBU 6.5.2 here as well, it's very annoying, and was a real pain to have to adjust all of my schedules to cope with it.  I used to have calendar-based scheduling set to run our weekly fulls on the 2nd - Last Friday nights with the window open until Sunday, now they all time out with 196 errors as soon as it hits midnight on Saturday morning.

They've definitely changed the way that calendar schedules interpret the backup windows, and I haven't found any documentation of this anywhere.

Ron_Cohn
Level 6
I had this problem once in Netbackup 6.0 MP5.  I too have a backup window which goes from PM -> AM.  Under Schedule Type Calendar or Frequency, under calendar, do you have "Retries Allowed After Run Day" checked or unchecked.  If unchecked, try checking it.  This took care of my problem...

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
Try running a full backup that will reset all your incrementals then you can see how the schedule came up.

michael_boehl
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Has anyone had any luck with the above suggestion? I received a call from a customer with the same issue a couple of days ago.

Thanks.

Anton_Panyushki
Level 6
Certified

That's what Symantec says on this issue. Admin Guide Vol.1 .

How calendar scheduling interacts with daily windows

Daily windows are taken into account, even when calendar-based schedules are used. Windows that span midnight become two separate windows for calendar schedules. After the policy is created, the initial backups may appear as though two backups have run within the same window.

If the calendar schedule indicates that today is a run day, the backup runs once during any window that is open. For example:

2 In the Calendar Schedule tab, the schedule is set up to run on every week day, Monday through Saturday.  

Policies Calendar schedule tab

A new backup policy is created on Monday afternoon. The windows are configured to be open from 6 p.m. until 6 a.m., Sunday through Saturday.

3 No backups from the policy exist yet because it is a new policy. Since today (Monday) is a run day, a job runs as soon as the window opens at 6 p.m.

4 At midnight, it is a new day (Tuesday) and a window is open (until 6 a.m.) so the job is due and runs again. The backups continue to run soon after midnight from that time forward.

Notice how the backup runs before midnight, then again immediately after midnight. Both jobs are valid since both have different run days and windows are open at both times (6 a.m. through 6 p.m. every day of the week). Windows that span midnight become two separate windows for calendar schedules.

151 Policies Calendar schedule tab

To run jobs at 6 p.m. instead of midnight, use a frequency of one day instead of recurring days in the Calendar Schedule tab.

Chris_Babcock
Level 4

Here is my modified post from another 6.5.2 question thread:

Single Master/Media server on Windows 2k3

Having serious problems and going to roll back.  Technical support from 3rd party says Symantec having all kinds of issues with PEM.  Some of our backups did not kick off.  Other kicked off at wrong times.  Other kicked off AGAIN after 6 hours, but a new day AND did NOT run the next new day.  This is Aa policy execution manager issue.  Suppoasedly Symantec completely redesigned it for 6.5.2 and it is not wokring right.

When midnight hits, jobs are failing because they are not in the backup window, when the backup window is continuous.

We also had a RESTORE ISSUE.  A restore that should have taken 5 or 10 minutes took 3 1/2 hours!!!!

Proceed with caution!!!!!!!!!!

michael_boehl
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Thanks for the post Anton. That helps clear things up...at least in my mind. Robot Happy