cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to Netbackup 6

None
Level 2
I am looking for information and feedback on upgrading from NetBackup 5.1MP2 to NetBackup 6.0.  I would like to know if anyone has performed this upgrade and if they have experienced any issues.  Also, does anyone know of docs that can be of use for planning and executing this uprade.  I have tired the support site and have not found anything of much use.  Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

Stumpr2
Level 6
I suggest getting the installation CD's for 6.0 that are already loaded with MP4. While you are waitng for them to arrive, I suggest you download the release notes and READ them. There may be clients or applications that may prevent you from simply upgrading.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Try this link:

N.B. v5.1 to v6.0 is a "major" version upgrade.  Several core strategies of NBU have been changed.  You would do well to consider the jump from v5.x to v6.0 as far tougher than from v4.5 to v5.x.  You must read all the upgrade guides/installation manuals/release notes and related tech notes - otherwise your upgrade will quite likely fail.  Also, there are still key "bugs" in v6.0 MP4 that are preventing me from upgrading.  I'm still waiting to see if they are resolved in v6.0 MP5.

Also, don't be rushed by the date of 3rd October.  NetBackup v5.1 will still be supported after this date, i.e. if you have a problem, Symantec Support will still help you - but after this date NetBackup v5.1 enters "partial support", meaning any newly discovered bugs will not be escalated to engineering - but they will still help you with any known solutions and/or workarounds for v5.x for a while longer (two years I think).

Good luck.

None
Level 2
Thanks for the info.  The links were quite useful.  However, from reading this I was unable to find one bit of information.
 How do you figure out the size of the EMM DB based on your current catalog?  I am running NB5.1 and would like to knw if this is a one-to-one ratio or if there is a best practice, etc? 

Stumpr2
Level 6
The EMM database is separate from the catalog

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Page 24 of the Backup Planning And Performance Tuning Guide for NetBackup v6.0 covers sizing the EMM database:

Richard_Bannist
Level 5

@David Rawson wrote:

there are still key "bugs" in v6.0 MP4 that are preventing me from upgrading.  I'm still waiting to see if they are resolved in v6.0 MP5.

- that is concerning, though not completely unexpected; had deliberately stayed away from 6.0 when it was first released, we are only now looking into going to 6.0, and already it's not reassuring to hear there are big bugs as far along as MP4. Am investigating what's involved from upgrading from 5.1, guess i'll have to delve more closely into notes for the Maintenance Packs too

Regards

Stumpr2
Level 6

i'll have to delve more closely into notes for the Maintenance Packs too....

yes, sounds like wise words from a sage.