cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Virtual Machine as boot server

manmountain
Level 5
Certified

Hi Folks, Is it possible to use a Linux Virtual machine as a boot server and use this boot server to perform BMR's on a real Linux machine?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

That will be a gentle yes. The devil is in the details. How do intend to use the BMR server. Will you generate  ISO for booting or will you remote boot servers with PXE ?. PXE booting on VMware may be a issue if the ESX server doesn't allow traffic on layer 2 (MAC) but only level 3 (IP). 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

That will be a gentle yes. The devil is in the details. How do intend to use the BMR server. Will you generate  ISO for booting or will you remote boot servers with PXE ?. PXE booting on VMware may be a issue if the ESX server doesn't allow traffic on layer 2 (MAC) but only level 3 (IP). 

manmountain
Level 5
Certified

Hi Nicolai, I would be hoping to use boot servers on VM for PXE booting as I belive it would be the easiest option in many aspects. 

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

Yes, it is absolutely possible to use VM based Boot server for PXE based recovery. Please take care of the point Nicolai mentioned i.e. ESX server configuration should allow PXE, DHCP, TFTP packets to VM virtual network. I believe by default it would work for you. This is tested scenario in BMR lab.

thanks.

mandar