cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM primary identifier

derhoeppi85
Level 3

Hi,

i'm new with netbackup (we are testing with) and i have two question. I manage a medium sized vmware environment with about 1.500 vm's. We offer a private cloud for some adimnistrators with special applications. The vm administrator can create, edit, remove and rename the vm. Our problem as systemmanger is the correct backup. In the administrator guide is written a vm primary identifier (we will use the vm display name) to backup vm's. Is it possible to choose a second identifier (e.g. VM-ID), so i can join the primary and secondery identifiert to detect the vm. In our history we had following problem. A administrator create a vm (e.g. called DC1) - work with them some month ago and delete them. After deleting he will create a new vm with the same display name. What will be happen? Second question is what will be happen if the vm administrator rename the vm and we use the display name as primary identifier? Is netbackup inteligent enough to check this or would nebackup run a new fullbackup?

Kind regards derhoeppi85  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

hi,

No, there is no option for secondary identifier in VMware bacakup..

I do not think if Netbackup identifies the Renamed VM in display name.. i think it considers the renamed VM as new VM and takes the fresh backup... ( i could be wrong)

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

hi,

No, there is no option for secondary identifier in VMware bacakup..

I do not think if Netbackup identifies the Renamed VM in display name.. i think it considers the renamed VM as new VM and takes the fresh backup... ( i could be wrong)