cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMware Consolidated Backup error during full backup (VCB type 3 backup)

battlesae
Level 3

During one of my VCB backups, I get the following error:

12/2/2009 9:10:30 PM - Error bpbrm(pid=1292) from client XXXX: ERR - Unable to retrieve volumes from virtual machine, error = 1

In Backup, Archive, and Restore, the .vmdk files are available for restore, but individual files and folders are not available for restore.  This is the only VCB server backup that generates this error.

Netbackup Server details: master, media, and VCB proxy - Windows server 2003 SP2, Netbackup 6.5.5

Any ideas about what might be causing this error?

Thanks,

Alex

3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you seen this technote:
GENERAL ERROR: VMWare Consolidated Backup type 2 or 3 backups fail to index files level information, but the VMDK backup is successful.
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/317259.htm

It details that the mount point definition has a trailing slash. S:\mnt\ when it should be S:\mnt

Are there other virtual machines in this backup policy? Do they fail?
Other VCB backups type 3 policies are successful?

Rerun and increase logging on the Proxy server to level 5

Review the logs outlined below
netbackuploggingforvmware.png

battlesae
Level 3
Stuart,

Yes, I've seen that technote.  None of my VCB policies have the extra slash in the mount point description.  All of my VCB policies (to date) are type 3 backups.  There is one other virtual machine in the policy (same datastore), but completes successfully.  I have all of the logging enabled at the highest level, but have not found anything unusual.

I do have a case open with Symantec; at the moment they are stumped also.  One thing tech support said was that the backline engineers have seen issues with mapping on type 3 full backup with Windows 2000 virtual machine volumes that have a 4KB cluster size.  The problem virtual machine here has 2 volumes with 4KB cluster size. 

Alex

Rodrigo_Chavez
Level 2
Partner
Hi guys,  do you know about a formal resolution to fix it ?
All Backups based in Vmware works ok, but i have only one VM with this problem.

Thanks !!