cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMware VCB backup and SQL server

gustav
Level 5

Hi - I hope someone can help. I run netbackup 6.5.2 for one customer and there is a requirement to backup sql server using VCB. the sqlserver installations are on Virtual machines. I know that VCB will not give application consistent backups, so we are thinking of doing sql flat file backups and then backing up the entire VM using VCB. Is this a feasable solution - the client does not want to use ip based backups for the SQL VMS. is there anyway of syncing the time of the flat file backups finishing and the start of the VCB backup?

many thanks
3 REPLIES 3

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6
Yes VCB you can do flat backup to local disk and then VCB backup to entire vm. thats also good way.

if you are well known to scripting, you ll be able to match up the flat backup finishing time for VCB Backup start time , you can create a script on master to initiate VCB backup and point that script in Flat Backup method to start VCB backup once flat backup is completed.( there is a easy way to call that script from SQL maintenance plan saying if plan is successful call this script file)

If no, You should go for one calculation.. check for the flat backup time window and based on that schedule VCB backup to get initiated once the flat backup completed.

Actually we use netbackup client base archive backup to get the sql db flat files archived.

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6

VMware announced "End of Availability for VMware Consolidated Backup", you also consider in upgrading it. Just for your Information.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/vmware-announces-end-availability-vmware-consolidated-backup

gustav
Level 5
Where would be a good place to start? I have never done pre post scripting on netbackup before.
Many thanks