cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSP? VSS?

Randy_Samora
Level 6
I'm having a little difficulty understanding the VS's. First question, if I want to use VSP on a volume that contains 700GB of data, I have to have some place to put the cache file of EQUAL size, correct? If set the maximum cache size to 100GB, the backup will fail, right? I don't understand why Veritas chose 95% of available disk space by default. My MOM alerts would go through the roof from servers going over the threshold of available disk space.

If I want to use VSS, that's a Windows setting and I would have to convince all of the server owners to activate it, correct? Does NetBackup create a new VSS file or are they created on a set schedule and NetBackup just uses the latest one?

Way back when NetBackup was having problems deleting the VSP cache files, I deactivated VSP on all servers and now I'm thinking about turning it back on. Be default, is VSP used? If I install a client and do not add it to the Client Attributes tab of the Master Server, is VSP being used? What's the easiest way to tell?

Thanks,
Randy
24 REPLIES 24

Randy_Samora
Level 6
In my Client Attributes tab of the Master Server properties, I have servers who's name I cannot read entirely because the name is too long to fit in the window. I'm trying to verify that none of my clients are using VSP so I can take full advantage of this reboot. I don't see any way to expand the window. Is there anywhere else I can go to get that list of servers?

Thanks,
Randy

Stumpr2
Level 6
Perhaps this may help. I'm not sure and I can't test on my master as it is down for maintenance.

How to change Client Connect Options for a Veritas NetBackup (tm) Client
http://support.veritas.com/docs/277896

Details:
It may be necessary to change the Client Connect Options for a specific client. These Client Connect Options include BPCD connect back, types of ports used, and Daemon connection port, and can be changed through the Client Attributes tab of the Master Server Properties in the Veritas NetBackup (tm) Administration Console. Client Connect Options can be changed for individual clients by adding them to the Clients list of the Client Attributes tab and changing the settings.

Alternatively, the bpclient command may be used. It is located in the /netbackup/bin/admincmd directory. Options for this command can be listed by typing bpclient /? in this directory.

USAGE: bpclient -All
bpclient -client client_name
-l|-L|-H|-FI
bpclient -client client_name
-add|-delete|-update

For -add and -update the options are
-connect_nr_port <0=no, 1=yes>
-no_callback <0=no, 1=yes>
-dynamic_address <0=no, 1=yes>
-free_browse <0=allow, 1=deny, 2=use>
-list_restore <0=not specified, 1=allow both,
2=allow list only, 3=deny both>
-max_jobs <1-99>
-current_hostname
-current_ip_addr
-current_host host_name|:ip_address
-WOFB_enabled <0=WOFB disabled, 1=WOFB_enabled>
-WOFB_FIM <0=VSP, 1=VSS>
-WOFB_usage <0=Individual Drive Snapshot, 1=Global Drive Snapshot>
-WOFB_error <0=Abort Backup on Error, 1=Disable & Continue>Message was edited by:
Bob Stump

Randy_Samora
Level 6
Everything I wanted to know about the client and more :) Worked like a charm, thanks again Bob.

Julien_Mari
Level 4
Bob,

In the registry, under netbackup - current version - config, you can add the VSP_USE equal to NO to stop the use of VSP on the client.

I have to check more in details, on monday or Tuesday. I'll post here to let you know !

Julien_Mari
Level 4
It's VSP_Use NO on the client side.