cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSP? VSS?

Randy_Samora
Level 6
I'm having a little difficulty understanding the VS's. First question, if I want to use VSP on a volume that contains 700GB of data, I have to have some place to put the cache file of EQUAL size, correct? If set the maximum cache size to 100GB, the backup will fail, right? I don't understand why Veritas chose 95% of available disk space by default. My MOM alerts would go through the roof from servers going over the threshold of available disk space.

If I want to use VSS, that's a Windows setting and I would have to convince all of the server owners to activate it, correct? Does NetBackup create a new VSS file or are they created on a set schedule and NetBackup just uses the latest one?

Way back when NetBackup was having problems deleting the VSP cache files, I deactivated VSP on all servers and now I'm thinking about turning it back on. Be default, is VSP used? If I install a client and do not add it to the Client Attributes tab of the Master Server, is VSP being used? What's the easiest way to tell?

Thanks,
Randy
24 REPLIES 24

Deepak_Bhalwank
Level 5
Hi,

if I want to use VSP on a volume that contains 700GB of data, I have to have some place to put the cache file of EQUAL size, correct? NO
The cache file size depends on the number of accesses to the data during backup. More the data is modified during snapshot creation greater will be size of file.

If set the maximum cache size to 100GB, the backup will fail, right? NO I guess

If I want to use VSS, that's a Windows setting and I would have to convince all of the server owners to activate it, correct? YES VSS service to be started and shadow copies to be enabled. Only for W2k3

Be default, is VSP used? YES

If I install a client and do not add it to the Client Attributes tab of the Master Server, is VSP being used? What's the easiest way to tell?
Follow Link -
http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?messageID=4433652꛴

Br,
DeepakMessage was edited by:
Deepak Bhalwankar

Julien_Mari
Level 4
Hi,

First question, if I want to use VSP on a volume that contains 700GB of data, I have to have some place to put the cache file of EQUAL size, correct?

I dont think so. I have a 750Go partition and the cache file is not that big. It may go up to 200Go sometimes but mostly around 30-50Go usualy.

f I want to use VSS, that's a Windows setting and I would have to convince all of the server owners to activate it, correct?

For VSS you have to activate the service on the client side, so yes you have to convince all of the server owners to activate it.

For the VSP cache file, you have to exclude the file from the antivirus. Prior to 5.1 MP4 you have to exclude _vxfivspcache*.tmp After that the cache file extension turns to VSP. So exclude *.VSP from the antivirus.

Here is a technote from the Veritas website to delete without rebooting these cache file:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/270127

And yes VSP is used by default. To see if VSP is used log on the client and check the VSP_USE in the registry. There is also a technote for that, but I can't find it. To disable VSP the best way is from the client attribute tab under master properties.

Lance_Hoskins
Level 6
A couple of things to add to Deepak's comments below:

1) VSS is turned on by default in W2K3, so no need to activate it.
2) You will have to modify the NBU master server properties to activate the clients to using it.
3.) As he mentioned below, W2K3 only and from what I've heard, only if you'r eat SP1 (there's said to be a large memory leak pre-SP1 with VSS).

My thought is that if you have an OS that has a snapshot tool built in that works, why not use it rather than installing another tool into the Kernel?

Just my $.02,
Lance

Stefan_Schmid_2
Level 4
Hi all

To my understanding if you use the standard NetBackup client (i.e. not the NetBackup

advanced client) VSP will only take a snapshot if it finds a idle time of 5 seconds on the

drive (e.g. C:\) within the first 300 seconds right after the backup start. If there is not such

a idle time, the backup will be done without using VSP !

The 5 seconds are set in the parameter:
The 300 seconds are set in the parameter:

Can anyone confirm my undestanding ?

kind regards,

Stefan

Deepak_Bhalwank
Level 5
Good summing up Lance, I guess now Randy has everthing he needs.

Deepak_Bhalwank
Level 5
Stefan,
You are right. The idle time also called quiescient time when a snapshot is required, any unfinished transactions or changes to the source data are allowed to complete, but new changes are temporarily stalled. The source is momentarily idled (made quiescent).

Br,Deepak.

Colin_North
Level 6
Randy,
If some reason Netbackup has not deleted any cache files and they are taking up valuable drive space, they can be deleted manually (no server reboots required).

We use Process Explorer from www.sysinternals.com - this lets you find handles and processes being used and you then you delete the cache files.

Colin.

Randy_Samora
Level 6
Thank you ALL for your responses and valuable tips and information. Who ever put this forum together sure made my life a lot easier. I'm going to make one big bar-b-q and invite everyone to Texas!!

Thanks again,
Randy

Randy_Samora
Level 6
p.s. I meant to give Deepak the "Correct" vote but accidentally gave them to Julien. Julien, share your points!! :)

Julien_Mari
Level 4
Can I ? I don't even know where to go to check my points...

zippy
Level 6
Julien,

Click on you name and look at your profile, you have 10 points!

Get 100 an you get a little blu ribbon!

JD

Julien_Mari
Level 4
Thanks !

Bob, Watch out I'm coming !!! ;)

Stumpr2
Level 6
Yes, the more people involved the better!

Congrats.

Deepak_Bhalwank
Level 5
Hi,

I don't mind.

Br,
Deepak.

Randy_Samora
Level 6
I have one more question that just popped up this morning. I had an Engineer call me because the VSP cache files were orphaned on his server and they were using up a lot of disk space. I went to the Master Server properties, and this particular server was listed in the Clients Attributes tab and the Enable Windows Open File Backup for this client box was NOT checked. I thought this meant the open file option would NOT be used and VSP cache files would not be created. What am I missing?

Thanks
Randy

Stumpr2
Level 6
netbackup stop
netbackup start
or
bpdown -f -v
bpup -f -v

just a possibility...

Julien_Mari
Level 4
Randy,

Check the dates f the files, maybe these are old files, before you tunr off VSP.

Also, you need to restart netbackup on the master after changing the VSP in the client attribute menu.

You can also check on the client the registry for the VSP_USE.

Randy_Samora
Level 6
I can't be certain if I've done that since adding that client and I know I have to. So to clarify, and your reputation is on the line, if I stop and restart (actually I'll reboot just to make sure) and those settings are as i described, the vsp cache files should NOT show up tonight; correct?

Stumpr2
Level 6
LOL - There are no absolutes in the world of Netbackup!

you are correct when you state "if I stop and restart (actually I'll reboot just to make sure) and those settings are as i described, the vsp cache files should NOT show up tonight"

Julien,
Could you please provide some more info on the registry entry you mentioned? I am windoes challenged.Message was edited by:
Bob Stump