cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSS & VSP

dead_wing
Level 3
I'm having problems with backups failing on different files so I've tried using VSP on 2000srv clients and VSS on 2003srv clients, as it should be done.

I've enabled the snapshot on the 2003srv client itself after enabling on the maser server. On that management windows,in the client, I had to determine which size the cache file should be.
I still don't get it, the meaning of that size file - what does it hold? because it cannot hold the whole volume I chose.
I've also been told that once the snapshot is created, a new tab is shown on each file, thus enabling restoring to its previous state (after changing), but not helpful when file is deleted. Is it true?
Hope someone can resolve my questions.

thanks,
liz.
8 REPLIES 8

DavidParker
Level 6
Liz,
The VSP cache file acts as a 'buffer' for file changes that happen during your backups. (I believe). By default, it will try to use a set % of the drive size (this can make the file quite large, depending on the drive size); personally, I like to restrict the size to 1-4GB.

If you're having problems with 'open files', you can also try increasing the 'file read timeout' value, to have the client wait longer before skipping the busy file.

What kind of files are you having problems with?
There are certain files that cannot be backed up through the regular client due to the nature of the application controlling them. For example: .mdf and .ldf files on an MSSQL server can NOT be backed up with the regular client.

DP

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
I think you can add .pst files to that list.

DavidParker
Level 6
For Exchange? Yeah, those can be troublesome, even with the Exchange Agent.
Other files to look out for: Oracle, Sybase, some Symantec Anti-Virus stuff ... there's more but I can't recall off the top of my head. Anything that has an Agent usually causes problems. ;)

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
shadowcopy VSS snapshots not getting deleted
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/284154.htm

uninstalling disabling VSP
bpclient command disable the VSP settings on the client side if run on the client
with the WOFB_enabled option set to 0.
echo "VSP_USE = NO" |bpsetconfig -h

vss patch for microsoft
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913648

dead_wing
Level 3
What will do any good by increasing the file read timeout? It will just take more time to backup and it won't help to those open files... is there any other way?
And I still don't get the principal having backing up using vss\vsp.
I realized I can go back in file changes, but if deleted, information's gone?

I can defeintly add pst files to that list, do any of you perhaps know a tool that can fix that? I tried using pst scan utility, but it just makes things worse - deleting the whole inbox and having problems opening the pst after the cleaning.

Thanks again.

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
By increasing the timeout you are hoping the files closes. This will not work for files that are open for a long period of time. To exclude files go to client properties then to exclude/include or go the client itself and edit the file /usr/openv/netbackup/exclude_list and put in the entry *.pst

dead_wing
Level 3
I know how to exclude, but I don't want to... I need to back up those files.

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
If you need to backup those files you may have to get Advanced Client Agent.