cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Catalog

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified
During a vault session how does vault know which kind of tape to write the catalog to?  Will it use the tapes that are currently defined in the regular catalog configuration -- or will it randomly pick a tape in the volume pool that you've assigned the vault catalog too and use the corresponding robot?  Hope this makes sense.

NB5.1MP6
4 REPLIES 4

Stumpr2
Level 6
It will use one of the two that you defined in the catalog configuration.

DavidParker
Level 6
Wow, I hate to contradict the Mighty Bob, but I do believe he's incorrect on this question.

If you have a Catalog backup configured in your Vault Profile it will pick either: A) A random volume from the defined volume pool (if there are any) or B) a random tape from the Scratch pool (if there are no volumes in the defined volume pool).

I definitely recommend using a specificly defined (and populated!) volume pool for these tapes as even when they expire (if they go to Scratch), they have 'Catalog data' on them and NBU won't write over that type of data (you have to Label the tape to clear it for use in other jobs) and it will then Freeze the media.

$0.02

Stumpr2
Level 6
correct away...I din't see vault. I was thinking of the regular run-o-the-mill catlog backups.

Geezer alert:
Use to be that when ECS installed vault (it was a consulting product) you had to populate a designated volume pool with virgin tapes. yeeha!

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified
Thank you for the responses!