cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault tapes are copies?

manatee
Level 6

NBU 7.6.0.3

i was reading Vault management and came to know that Vault pools are copies of the original backup images created from one of my pools. the non-Vault pools contain the original backup images.

correct me if i'm wrong.

now, it so happens that the tapes from the Year end pool have been delivered off-site but i have a requirement to restore some files from it. is there a way i can create/extract/duplicate the original backup images even without the (now off-site) Year end pool tapes?

btw, after a dedup i do "expire after copy" on an SLP. (i guess i'm answering my own question here).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Vault can be used to duplicate tapes/backups but duplication can be skipped when you have SLPs for duplication. Vault can be used to simply manage tape ejects, create all sorts of offsite management reports, including return dates. Deduplication storage should be sized to hold at least 2 weeks worth of backups. There is honestly no point in using any kind of disk storage when you expire immediately after duplication. You might as well backup directly to tape. What is the reason for doing this? Why do you have expensive dedupe option in your environment and not really use all of its advantages?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

tunix2k
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi rino19ny,

sorry but your guess is right. Netbackup SLP performs a copy of your backup and deleted the first one. So your offsite tapes contains the only backupimage copy you have.

A very very small chance: if the first backup was made on tapes, you are able to indentify theses tapes and theses tapes are not rewritten again you may import them to get the old backup images back.

Otherwise you should get the offsite tapes back.

Vault is an option to handle this. It need a extra license. In a Vault policy the selected backupimages are copied to tape. Additional the needed catalog entries are copied to these tapes.

Then these tapes are ready for take out (ore ejected automatically).

The backupcopies on vault tape are very fast to import in comparision with normal (not known) backups on tape. This is good for desaster recovery.

As far as I understood images on Vaulttapes are not part of emm and catalog.

ciao

Martin

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6

You answered your own question correctly :)

I'm interested to know why you'd use expire after backup on the dedupe pool. If you're using dedupe then expiring that backup will not really release any significant amount of space. Unless the data is not deduplicating well.

Just a thought. 

Marianne
Level 6
Vault can be used to duplicate tapes/backups but duplication can be skipped when you have SLPs for duplication. Vault can be used to simply manage tape ejects, create all sorts of offsite management reports, including return dates. Deduplication storage should be sized to hold at least 2 weeks worth of backups. There is honestly no point in using any kind of disk storage when you expire immediately after duplication. You might as well backup directly to tape. What is the reason for doing this? Why do you have expensive dedupe option in your environment and not really use all of its advantages?

Marianne
Level 6

Have a look at these posts regarding SLP and Vault in the same environment:

Netbackup 7.7 SLP and Vault 

Vault ejects tapes required for SLP duplication

SLP and Vault......

SLP's vs vault management 

HTH