cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volume GUID's

MickBoosh
Level 5

Hi,

Am I right in thinking that the only way to backup and restore these GUID's is by a flashbackup-Windows as the poilcy type?

Cheers

Mike

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Why would you need to backup and/or restore Volume GUID's?

MickBoosh
Level 5

As part of HyperV, we are using volume GUID paths and not drive letters, sorry if I explained badly. They don't get backed in the usual ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES instruction. Obvioulsy we'd like to have this backed up. We don't have the enterprise license on the hypervisor (yet) so we can't perform a flashbackup.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I found a number of references:

http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/new-netbackup-701-release
Hyper-V Volume GUID support: Those of you using Microsoft’s Hyper-V virtualization technology will no doubt welcome this enhancement. NetBackup now supports the use of volume GUIDs in these environments instead of simply drive letters.  Volume GUIDs have been Microsoft’s recommend way of configuring clustered Hyper-V volumes and now NetBackup can backup and restore using these GUIDs. Of course those of you still wanting to use drive letters will continue to be supported.

NetBackup 7.0.1 Release Announcement : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH135812
Hyper-V Cluster Support - Volume GUIDs are now supported in addition to drive letters

Support for NetBackup 7.x in virtual environments:   ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/340091.pdf

Symantec NetBackup (tm) 7.0 for Hyper-V Guide: ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/340111.pdf

(Hope all the links work - I couldn't test them...)

MickBoosh
Level 5

Yes I've had a look, it appears we need to use Flashbackup which we are not licensed for at the moment, we need the enterprise client licenses