cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VxSS bpnbaz fails on NBU 6.5 Windows 2k3

radandri
Level 3
Partner
I'm trying to setup VxSS on NBU 6.5 on Windows 2k3 VMWare testlab. I have installed the Authentication and Authorisation Services. My master server is both RB and AB. I have successfully added the server by bpnbat -addmachine and logged in by bpnbat -LoginMachine. Now i'm trying to setup security by bpnbaz -setupsecurity This is what it says: bpnbaz -setupsecurity den-dc.krabenko.corps There must be at least one Security Administrator other than root/Administrator. Enter the userid and login information for that Security Administrator. The specified userid will be added to the Security Administrator Group (NBU_Security Admin) and to the Administrator Group (NBU_Admin). Authentication Broker: den-dc.krabenko.corps Authentication port: Authentication type (NIS, NIS+, WINDOWS, vx, unixpwd): WINDOWS Domain: krabenko.corps Login Name: administrator Password: ****** Processing - please be patient Optional VxSS libraries not initialized. What is wrong? Can anyone help solving this issue? Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES 6

Tejas_Lagad
Level 3
Employee
The "Optional VxSS libraries not initialized" message is likely caused by an expired session. Try to acquire a new session by issuing the "bpnbat –login" command. A  session is valid for 24 hours.

For more on this and other troubleshooting tips refer to the VxSS Yellow-book at http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/theme.jsp?themeid=yellowbooks

VxSS is now called - Symantec Product Authentication and Authorization

-Tejas

radandri
Level 3
Partner
I run all the commands sequentially so there's no way my session can expire. Running bpnbat -login loggs me in successfully but straight after that bpnbaz fails with the same error. I couldn't find any additional information on "Optional VxSS libraries not initialized" error except what you said in your post. Is there any other possible reason?

radandri
Level 3
Partner
Finally I have managed to successfully run bpnbaz -setupsecurity after reinstalling NetBackup and Symantec Authintication/Authorization Services. After performing all the steps in the same order as before it unexpectedly worked! I still don't know the reason of the problem. Now another problem arized. When trying to launch NetBackup Administration Console I receive a message:"Error in configuration. There is no Symantec Product Authentication & Authorization broker set on the local system or remote system. Attempting to connect automatically." What could be the reason of this? I have set up both RB and AB on my master server.

Tejas_Lagad
Level 3
Employee
Did you correctly configure the Access Control host properties of the master server?

Follow the instructions and refer to the verification steps in the yellow-book and in the NetBackup Security and Encryption Guide at http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290226.htm

radandri
Level 3
Partner
Access control host properties are only available thru Administration Console. As I have written in my previous post, I'm unable to launch it.

Tejas_Lagad
Level 3
Employee
You can check the access control host properties on windows thru the registry - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config