cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do i need to install on my windows based laptop to view NBU master

Ankur_Dubey
Level 3

Hi ,

I have got read access for the unix bases NBU master server. I need i know what software i can install on my windows xp laptop to view the NBU admin gui.

I am pretty new to netbackup and need some help.

Please help me find out the location and the software i need to install.

Thanks,

-Ankur

13 REPLIES 13

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Which NBU version on your Master?

Do you have Windows install media? If so, you will find Java Install folder on this install media (we can provide more info if we know which NBU version).

You will need the Java patch as well to match the Master server patch level.

Baski
Level 5
Partner Certified

Hey,

This very easy, just Install NBU Java software on your laptop same version as master server ( If master server is 6.5.5, you should install the same version 6.5.5) as said Mariane. And also you need ad auth.conf file with your ID. Then you can login your master server.

The normal auth.conf as below.

cat /usr/openv/netbackup/auth.conf

Please find the attched screenshot also.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

NetBackup Remote Administration Console, you can find this under "Install Server Software" (NB6.5) or "Server Software Installation" (NB7.0) on the install media too!

Ankur_Dubey
Level 3

i have NetBackup-RedHat2.6 6.5.4

I tried installing the one as below which did not worked.

NB_JAV_6.5.3.winnt.x86_314602.exe 

Is this the correct java software (incorrect version though) i should be looking for?

Thanks.

Marianne
Level 6

That is a patch.

You need the base Windows 6.5 install media. Either on the installation cd's or dvd's or download from FileConnect.

Baski
Level 5
Partner Certified

Hi Ankur,

First you have to install the base Java version ( 6.5) after that you have to upgrade the version. 6.5.4 as per your environment.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH52878

Mouse

Don't forget to add your host to the SERVER LIST on the master server.

This could be challenging for laptops with dynamic IP address, some time ago I gave up and have installed a remote admin console on a server and used RDP for connection to NBU

Marianne
Level 6

SERVER entry is not required for Java console. Only with Windows Admin Console.

I use my Java Console whenever I visit a customer. No SERVER entry for my laptop on any of the master's. Only requirement is user name and password that appears in auth.conf on master (root is there by default).

Mouse

I just don't like the Java Console because it's somewhat buggy and annoys me with passwords :)

Lucky you have customers that allow you to plug your laptop to their network, that's pretty cool itself!

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

Some people like the Java, and some don't

the java on my pc messes up something else I have, and I perfer the windows remote admin.

So if you have the windows software.

Just like you would install on a client.(be sure to use the correct version 32 or 64 bit)

As you are on 6.5.3, start with the 6.5 client

choose the java or go for the install and choose the windows console.

then be sure to do the 6.5.3 patch.

Stumpr2
Level 6

I prefer the java GUI but I also use putty to login to UNIX master servers so I can use the command line and bpadm

Ankur_Dubey
Level 3

Thanks a lot everyone, much appreciate your time.

Is it required that one should have rights granted on the NBU admin GUI by the NBU admin just to login and view NBU UI?

I have been granted read access by the linux admin on the master server which happens to be the NBU master server also, but cant login using NBU admin console. I have installed NBU 6.0 

Did i missed the step to add my id into auth.conf 

cat /usr/openv/netbackup/auth.conf

as suggested above.

We have NetBackup-RedHat2.6 6.5.4

Stumpr2
Level 6

for java the netbackup admin determines the access you need. The following would give you everything.

cat /usr/openv/java/auth.conf

userID ADMIN=ALL JBP=ALL

I would not allow the admin console to be used by anyone other than me or my peer. The admin console usage can be destructive when used by persons not thoroughly versed in Netbackup. The java allows to trim the sails of someone new to their  Netbackup journey.