cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What services?

Leoooooo
Level 4

Hello all,

I have Netbackup 7.6 running on W2008. I just set up the KEEP_JOBS_SUCCESSFUL_HOURS and KEEP_JOBS_HOURS for two weeks, so far so good, but now I need to restart the services and I just realize that Netbackup has 34 services.... and wondering if everything I do I'll need to restart 34 services....

So my question is: Do I need to restart all the 34 services for setting the jobs retention? Or is there any kind of rule I can follow to know which service is responsible for what?

Thank you very much in advance for everybody able to assist.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

for setting the job retentions nothing needs to restart...

run the bprdreq -rereadconfig command once you update.. and you are good to go with below settings.. 

KEEP_JOBS_SUCCESSFUL_HOURS and KEEP_JOBS_HOURS

View solution in original post

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

All services can be restarted using bpdown and bpup.

Have a read of this technote, its for NBU 6.0 but still valid

What are some of the situations where is it necessary to restart daemons / services in VERITAS NetBackup (tm) 6.0?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH45858

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You can use this command in below scenarios. You don't need to restart the NBU services for day to day work or most of the configuration. Most of the times if you have drive issues you just need to restart the ltid services.

99% of the times the NBU environment once configured runs smoothly, if you have any issue or any major changes then only after troubleshooting it is recommended to recycle the services or else not needed

DESCRIPTION :
bprdreq allows certain actions to be requested of the bprd daemon including terminating the daemon and changing some of the OpenV*NetBackup parameters.

OPTIONS:
-verbose: verbose
-alive: check the request daemon is alive
-logstatus: log the status of the request daemon
-terminate: terminate the request daemon
-setverbose: set the verbose option for the request daemon
-rereadconfig: reread the global configuration file
-startsched: start bpsched immediately
-recyclelogs days: set the number of days the logs are kept for
-wakeup minutes: set the scheduler wakeup interval in minutes

Restart bprd after all tests are completed.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH30541

4 REPLIES 4

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

for setting the job retentions nothing needs to restart...

run the bprdreq -rereadconfig command once you update.. and you are good to go with below settings.. 

KEEP_JOBS_SUCCESSFUL_HOURS and KEEP_JOBS_HOURS

Leoooooo
Level 4

Thank you Nagalla, it solves my problem for now. But I would like to know a little further than this.

This command I can use in which circunstance? And about the services, in any case I need to restart all the 34 services or there is a way to know for any action I do I can know which service to restart?

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

All services can be restarted using bpdown and bpup.

Have a read of this technote, its for NBU 6.0 but still valid

What are some of the situations where is it necessary to restart daemons / services in VERITAS NetBackup (tm) 6.0?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH45858

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You can use this command in below scenarios. You don't need to restart the NBU services for day to day work or most of the configuration. Most of the times if you have drive issues you just need to restart the ltid services.

99% of the times the NBU environment once configured runs smoothly, if you have any issue or any major changes then only after troubleshooting it is recommended to recycle the services or else not needed

DESCRIPTION :
bprdreq allows certain actions to be requested of the bprd daemon including terminating the daemon and changing some of the OpenV*NetBackup parameters.

OPTIONS:
-verbose: verbose
-alive: check the request daemon is alive
-logstatus: log the status of the request daemon
-terminate: terminate the request daemon
-setverbose: set the verbose option for the request daemon
-rereadconfig: reread the global configuration file
-startsched: start bpsched immediately
-recyclelogs days: set the number of days the logs are kept for
-wakeup minutes: set the scheduler wakeup interval in minutes

Restart bprd after all tests are completed.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH30541