cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which user to use

Patience
Level 3
I am running Veritas Netbackup 6.0 MP4. The OS Platform is Windows 2K3 Standard Edition SP1.

I notice that some backup clients are using the Local System Account and some are using a Domain User. We want to create a standard for all the clients. Is one better than the other to use? What I am asking is should we use a Domain User or the Local System Account. Do they serve the same purpose? What does Veritas recommend?

Thank you
7 REPLIES 7

Stumpr2
Level 6
I always use an ID that is granted local admin priv's
I've never been trusted with a domain admin aaccount.

Patience
Level 3
So the user can be a Domain User, but just have local admin rights to the box? Is this correct?

What would be one of the reasons to use the Local System Account. I am just trying to see why the previous person used both. Why he used a Domain User and the Local System Account?

Stumpr2
Level 6

So the user can be a Domain User, but just have local admin rights to the box? Is this correct?
yes.

What would be one of the reasons to use the Local System Account. I am just trying to see why the previous person used both. Why he used a Domain User and the Local System Account?
I don't know. That approach would be much harder to manage especially in a large environment.

Patience
Level 3
As always Stumpr. Thanks for all of your help. I will use the Domain User with Administrator priviledges.

Stumpr2
Level 6
your welcome

Samuel_Ayoub
Level 4
I've seen where local system accounts are used in a DMZ which doesn't have a dedicated media server.  This way as long as both account names and passwords for the Domain Account and the local system account are identical, NBU can backup the client.

Stafford
Level 4
Why are you using anything but local system?  This isn't backup exec.  Unless you are using a database extension that has to run as a seperate account to authenticate then you should just run as local system.