cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

While I restore BMR, I got error message as "C:\Windows\system32\config does not have a true image backup --rc(227)"

Apitha
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified
I use NetBackup 6.5.6 on Master Server on Windows 2003 R2 32 bit and NetBackup 6.5.6 on Media Server on Windows 2003 32 bit.
I backup Media Server as BMR as:
- C:\
- Shadow Copy Component:\
- System State:\

I had check "Collect disaster recovery infrmation for Bare Metal Restore" on Policy attribute.
I had create file No.Restrictions on altnames.
I had allow client to browse and restore at Client Attribute.
It can backup successfull.

I create new configure to restore BMR on test server and it can connected and restore "Shadows Copy Component", but when BMR restore "System State" it had error "C:\Windows\system32\config does not have a true image backup --rc(227)"

How I can resolve this issue?
11 REPLIES 11

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Bare Metal Restore" on Policy attribute."

Did you also have ticked "Collect true image restore information" and "with move detection" which it states "Is required for synthetic backups and Bare Metal Restore"?

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner

It looks like BMR client wants to get info about backups of different client name. Check bmrrst log on Master Server. But first incerase logging for bmrrst:

vxlogcfg -a --prodid NB -o bmrrst -s DebugLevel=6

bmrrst log will show you executed commands and which command fails.

Apitha
Level 4
I had checked on  "Collect disaster recovery infrmation for Bare Metal Restore"

It will disable "Collect true image restore information" and "with move detection" as pictures that I attached.

I try to create new policy and backup it show as successfull, but when restore show same error.

I try to expired existing image and use new one, but result still same error.

Apitha
Level 4
When I increase log level, it will appear on master server log path, right?

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner

Yes on master server.. After unsuccessful restore you can run:

vxlogview --prodid NB -i bmrrst

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee
1. When BMR backup is enabled, TIR is by default enabled with move detection on. (its not disabled).
2. This problem is not with BMR restore but instead the shadow copy component backup available on the media server. You need to verify integrity of the backup. Try NBU backup verify option from the NBU admin console.
3. If possible restarts NBU media services or server itself and give another BMR restore try.

This issue is around shadow copy components NBU backup and restore. Instead of BMR logs you need to refer NBU debug logs to know about the failure. Check bpbrm, bptm (media server side) logs and  bprd (NBU master server side log) to debug the problem.

Thanks.
-Mandar

Apitha
Level 4
I had to restart media server many times, but it sitll return the same.

On the Media Server, it must enable "Shadow Copy" on Drive C: ? If yes, how many size?

After backup successfull, use verify in Catalog to verify backup image right?

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

You do not need to enable any settings on the media server for shadow copy. It should work by default.
Yes, thats the image verification.
One more point, check your backup policy. Confirm that you have selected MS-WINDOWS type of backup and not STANDARD type of backup. It may impat as well.

Thanks.
-Mandar

Apitha
Level 4

I had configure policy as MS-Windows-NT and checked on BMR. Protection Client as
- C:\
- Shadow copy component:
- System State:

Why it not working?

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

I am wondering why NB has not taken TIR backup of c:\windows\system32\config with this backup selection.
Would it be possible for you to take another full backup of the client having ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES in backup selection? If possible give this try and check the result.

Thanks.
-Mandar

Apitha
Level 4

Yes, I can backup successfully. I try to configure on Volume Shadow Copy and try to backup again. Success. Thanks all.