cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do 196 errors generate so many notifications?

RollTheBones
Level 4

Hi all,

I have an environment where backup_exit_notify is configured to send notifications on failures.  For the most part it works well, except when a 196 (backup window closed) is encountered.  In most cases it will generate 10 or more notifications in one minute, all for the same issue.

The other error codes are acting as expected and only generating one; why is it just the 196 that goes overboard?  Anyone else seen this before?

2 REPLIES 2

Alexander_Harri
Level 4
Have you checked each notification to see if they all reference the same policy and client? The most likely scenario is that more than one job failed with this error code.

RollTheBones
Level 4

Thats a good call, but I did check and they are all for the same policy and client.  I am suspecting it has something to do with the streams, as part of the backup_exit_notify script is to use $6 (the stream) appended to the .BACKUP_EXIT_CALLED* file that is created.  So if a job has 8 streams, 8 of these files are created.

And that just happens to be how many notifications are sent.  So far I don't see a way to make bperror suppress the stream information.