cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will running "bpbackup -i" from the server and resuming a failed job via "bpdbjobs -resume" yield same result ?

NortonsFan
Level 4

When a backup job has failed , after doing necessary problem determination for failure

Issuing a  server based backup ""bpbackup -i"   

synonymous to resuming a failed job via "bpdbjobs -resume"

Will both yield same result of backup completion

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

bpbackup -i will start an "immediate" backup (i.e. similar to running a manual backup from the GUI right-click on policy)

bpdbjobs -resume will resume a suspended or incomplete (?) backup, bpdbjobs -restart will restart a job (as per the right-click options in the activity monitor)

So, essentially "No" to your question as the bpbackup -i will start a new job from the beginning.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

bpbackup -i will start an "immediate" backup (i.e. similar to running a manual backup from the GUI right-click on policy)

bpdbjobs -resume will resume a suspended or incomplete (?) backup, bpdbjobs -restart will restart a job (as per the right-click options in the activity monitor)

So, essentially "No" to your question as the bpbackup -i will start a new job from the beginning.

NortonsFan
Level 4

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the update.

so will bpdbjobs -restart  be synonomous as bpbackup -i  for a backup job and yield same result

Here , I am interested only in restarting backup job

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

bpbackup

-i
Starts an immediate-manual backup. It is equivalent to when you start a
manual backup from the NetBackup administrator interface. You must be
the administrator on the master server to use the -i option.

bpdbjobs

-restart job1,job2,...jobn |type=jobtype|type=all
Cleanly restarts a job that jobtype indicates. This option supports backups
and enables you to restart a job by typing the word BACkup in the Activity
Monitor.

So essentially "Yes".

In the scheme of things I suppose the bpdbjobs would be the way to go, but that would depend upon the reason for the job failure in the first instance e.g. EC71 "none of the files exist" could be a result of the backup selection being incorrect so a bpdbjobs -restart would do you no good as it would use the parameters from the initial ("incorrect") job.

NortonsFan
Level 4

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Below line has good amound of wisdom to simply rerun failed backup via "bpbackup -i" if it need to be triggered from server.

"In the scheme of things I suppose the bpdbjobs would be the way to go, but that would depend upon the reason for the job failure in the first instance e.g. EC71 "none of the files exist" could be a result of the backup selection being incorrect so a bpdbjobs -restart would do you no good as it would use the parameters from the initial ("incorrect") job.

only short come of server intiated backup "bpbackup -i" , is that it does not give a exit code to be tested in a script for successful completion

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

One thing to bear in mind here ....

If these are file system backups and you are using checkpoint restart on your policy then the two are very different.

If the job failed after writing 1TB of a 1.5TB backup, using check point restart, the resuming the job would do the remaining 0.5TB but running a new job would do the whole 1.5TB again as a new job and would leave the Incomplete job in the queue until it hit the "move incomplete job to failed" time setting. This would therefore also leave the 1TB already backed up on disk, or tape, as valid images until it was cancelled or hit its time to set as a cancelled job

Hope this helps