cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 2003 R2

Marilyn_Bass
Level 3
I have four servers loaded with Windows 2003 R2 (the rest are straight Windows 2003 all versions) All run fine whether it be Master, Media, Client. No problems with the backups - ;) However, the four servers loaded with R2, they backup fine, but when I log onto the servers themselves I get an error with NetBackup. App name: bpbkar32.exe. Has anyone seen this one before?
14 REPLIES 14

Chuck_Stevens
Level 6
Did the backups complete with a status 0? Were there any failures/retries?

What does the event log say?

Ankur_Kumar
Level 5
Hi Marylin,
could you please spread a little more light on the type of event status you are experiencing on the client box for the bpbkar process.

chiao
Ankur Kumar

Lance_Hoskins
Level 6
Marlyn,

Are the rest running the base W2K3 or are they too running W2K3 SP1? We have a hand full of servers that have R2 loaded onto them, but my understanding is that R2 is merely a feature pack and nothing is really "loaded" per say until you install the feature pack you desisre (ex. DFS replication). We don't have any problems with our R2 clients here in the environment, so I'm not sure that R2 is your problem.

Have you turned on any logging to investigate the issue? What is the error exactly? Is it a pop-up upon loging in that says bpbkar32.exe has failed or is it something different?

Lance

Marilyn_Bass
Level 3
Okay, I feel really dumb here. After I posted the question I did some more testing, I found that I had not loaded all the NB service packs on the client servers. I thought I had but, obviously not. That's what happens when the work just keeps coming. ;)

Anyway, thank you all for your responses. My NetBackup is working perfect again on all our servers. I'm going to double check the versions on the rest of them and make sure they are up-to-date.

Just FYI, all our servers os's are current. We run a WSUS and have a sysadmin here that is anal about that, thank goodness!!!

Have great one all. Thanks again.

Ankur_Kumar
Level 5
Ola Marilyn Monro...ooops its Bass Sorry for that

Just kidding, thanks for the update but what kinda error messages were you getting on the event viewer logs regarding bpbkar, if you please do share with us it would be so very kind of you Marilyn.

Have a wonderful day

chiao
Ankur Kumar

Marilyn_Bass
Level 3
The error I was getting was: when I log onto the server I would get a pop up saying "NetBackup encountered a problem and needed to close."
Error signature was the same as event log. The Application Event log gave an error of "Faulting application bpbkar32.exe, version 5.1.0.135, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.2.3790.1830, fault address 0x0003248d." Event ID: 1000

P.S. Don't worry about the Monroe part, that's who I am named after... ;)

Ankur_Kumar
Level 5
Hi Marilyn named after The famous Miss Monroe
How are you, well i was wondering did you face an installation problem when trying to install the netbackup client on the box, something related to " file missing "

Chiao
Ankur Kumar

P.S: if you are named aftre Miss Monroe then you must be equally terrific as she was

Ankur_Kumar
Level 5
Hi Marilyn,
I guess the policy has both the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES and SHADOW_COMPONENTS selected for the backup selection, as per Veritas its a bug and would be addressed in MP4.

Please do check up on this particular technote
http://support.veritas.com/docs/272538

Chiao
Ankur Kumar

P.S: monroe was definitely terrific

Glenda_Mojica_2
Level 4
Hi Marilyn and Kumar,

I am also getting this error-- but only on my Windows 2003 R2 servers
I have patched netbackup 5.1 agents and it's the same MP with my netabckup Server 5.1 Mp3a.

My policy backup selection is only C, E, F and Shadow Copy components
and my processor is AMD Opteron 880 2.41Ghz

This is the same error that I got
Reporting queued error: faulting application bpbkar32.exe, version 5.1.0.150, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.2.3790.1830, fault address 0x0003248d.

Help please.

Thanks.

Glenda_Mojica_2
Level 4
if i look at the logs I found this:
2:26.624 <2> onlfi_vfms_logf: VERITAS Frozen Image Services: (null): "VSP_Prepare" failed with error 21 from "VSP_Prepare".
15:32:26.624 <2> onlfi_vfms_logf: VERITAS Frozen Image Services: VSP_Prepare: VspSnapshotParameters has 1 elements

snapshot preparation failed: invalid argument(s).

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
Hi Marilyn,

Can you share with us what version and patch level was your Netbackup server and client when you encountered that problem and which patch resolved the problem?

Btw, there's another related thread related on Faulting Application bpbkar32.exe for your reference:
http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?messageID=4406391㱷

Marilyn_Bass
Level 3
Chia,

I am running MP4 on all servers. I don't remember when MP4 came out, but it has been loaded for awhile now and running without any problems. All my backups have run close to perfect for over a year now. The problem I was having is I recently built four new servers with Windows 2003 R2. Backups ran fine, but I would get errors when I logged on to the servers. That's why I was associating the error with the operating system. We have been extremely busy here at work and I must have forgot to load the MP's on those new servers. Once I did that, no more error messages and all my backups are running great again.

But, I am more than happy to share if it will help someone else.

Glenda_Mojica_2
Level 4
Can I update my Windows 2003 R2 client to MP4 but leaving my media server and Master server in MP3?would there be any problems?
My pain is, I want to update my Maintenance Pack on Master and media server
but I still have Legacy OS using Netbackup 4.5GA client agent :( and they don't want to update :(

Glenda_Mojica_2
Level 4
to update:

I installed MP4 on my client windows 2003 R2
and that eliminates the error.
i even choose all local drives and shadow copy components-- no . App name: bpbkar32.exe error in the client's event log was seen.

thanks.Message was edited by:
Glenda Mojica