cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jobs on NB60 MP2-Server hanging (frozen)

Stephan_Langbei
Level 4
since maybe 4 weeks, after I update our NB60 MP1 (W2KSP4) enviroment (1 Master, 2 mediaserver, xx W2K and W2K3-Clients) to MP2 I have the problem, that backupjobs frozen at the masterserver. There is no rule witch client (49) frozen, each day an other client, there is also no rule, witch mediaserver have this problem, first day mediaserver 1 thave the problem, next day mediaserver 2 hangs. The frozen jobs can't canceled or deleted without reboot the masterserver. Also the frozen Jobs hanging in the joblist, as activ or running (attempt up to 16), but in the grafical interface, these jobs ar not existing. Futher, the hanging or frozen jobs blocks the tapedrive (or storageunit), so following jobs to this storage unit are not able to start. I have since 2 month an open caseticket at the support, but I don't get the final solution.
Following changes dont bring a improvement...

- enable robust logging (level 5)
- Service Removable Storage was disabled
- BPCD connect back ports (change to random port)
- recreate policies
- split policies
- disperse the start times of policies
- increse the attempts per day form 5 to 15
- increse the timeouts to 400 s
- limit max jobs for clients
- enable checkpoits

when the job hang, the client notice:
- 5/13/2006 6:18:34 PM - begin Snapshot , Policy Execution Manager Preprocessed

have somebody else this problem or have any idea to solve this problem?
11 REPLIES 11

Alasdair_McQuir
Level 4
What versions of the clients are you running.

I have have issues with older clients 4.5 FP6. Yes I know it is not supported but if you change settings in the master properties then you can make them work.

Stephan_Langbei
Level 4
The clients also NB6MP2 on W2K and W2K3-Servers, Master- and mediaservers are W2K-Servers SP4 full patched.

zippy
Level 6
Stephan,

Are tapes being loaded into the tape drives?

If the are are they being loaded into the correct drive?

It sounds to me that the Device Configuration is WHACKED between your Servers and the Library.

JD

Stephan_Langbei
Level 4
This morning, I get new files from symantic support (parts of MP3) and I test them now.

zippy
Level 6
ha ha funny!

Cool I would check the hard configs too.

I have worked with Netbackup for 10 years or so and I have NOT upgraded to 6.0 in production!

It is real POS Application, I will upgrade when MP5 comes out or just wait till 6.1.

Good luck,

JD

Stephan_Langbei
Level 4
I have think so too. My netbackup 5 MP3-enviroment have work without problems, but the advanced reporter was not included to netbackup. In Version 6, NOM should include for free, so I have update to 6 to Use NOM freely. I dont need NOM, but I need a reporting tool for our revision. I would use NOM, but Symantec is not able to write a documentation thats work to install VxSS and NOM, so few weeks ago, I get an contract form EMEA Germany for install VxSS and NON in our sinple enviroment. The consulter will come for 12 days to solve some known issues an install VxSS and NOM - so NOM cost more now as the advanced reporter in the past. Thats not fine :(

Alasdair_McQuir
Level 4
Hi, have instructions for NOM on a simple system and it does work.

I had the same reason for going to NBU6. You can do it without running VXSS fully.

Install only the authentication stage which provides the basics to get the system working.

In the following folder run: NBU6\NB_60_ICS_1.2.3.42_WIN32\Authentication \VxSSVRTSatSetup.exe.

Select Complete for the installation. Note If you select Typical, you will likely see the error "VERITAS Authentication Broker (server) must be installed" later when checks are made during the installation of NOM software. In this case, uninstall VxSSAT and reinstall selecting a Complete installation.

Install it to your Installpath\ main directory.

Select Root + Authentication Broker. This will install VxSSAT on the NOM server and configure a root and AT broker for NOM.

Install the latest VXSS MP.

Install NOM

You should not need the full VXSS install with all the security that it has to get nom working.

Login to NOM using the default domain, id and password and then create a new user and passwords for it.

Let me know if this is of help.

Cheers
Alasdair

Ankur_Kumar
Level 5
Hi stephan,
Any plans for the world cup !!!, i guess you made the migration a bit early Netbackup 6.0 is not a very stable system i am afraid to say so but it has a major issue with its EMM database which takes care of the devices and the allocation of drives etc. The backups may start smoothly and without a hitch but somewehere in the middle they seem to freeze.

I guess you should check out the logs for the bptm and bpdbjobs as well as any logs related to the EMM database. It may be after allocation of the drives the EMM sever freezes to respond.

Chiao
Ankur Kumar

Alasdair_McQuir
Level 4
I am getting random issues with the parent jobs freezing at the start or end of backups and this happens on 6,5 and 4.5. Support seem to be scratching their heads.

Stephan_Langbei
Level 4
Thats describe my problem correctly. There are two possibilitys of frozen jobs. First, the parrent initjob froze, so, no childprozesses will generate (multible job backups) or the parrent job freeze, after all childprozesses are finished. The parrent frozen job can't canceled manually. Also the storageunit is blocked until the masterserver get an reboot. But the support is working at this problem, I hope, it is really solved with NB6.0MP3, it is a time resuming problem for the administrator.

Alasdair_McQuir
Level 4
Stephan,

These issues have still been occuring with MP3 applied.

We have had it running for a week now with no improvement until last night when I truned NOM off.