cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Server 2012 Excludes

Andy_Benson1
Level 3

Hi, I'm seeing some odd behaviour with the excludes in Windows 2012 clients, running on 7.5.0.6, with SQL Server 2012.

I can't seem to get it to exclude the *.mdf, *.ldf, *.ndf files... which as you can imagine is making the backups larger than they should be.

Has anyone else experienced this on W2012 ?

It does seem to be 'reading' the exclude list, as there is a Policy exclude to stop one of the drive letters being backed up, and that is working ok.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Sorry for the delay in replying

NetBackup will use only read the exclude_list file that most closely matches the backup policy and schedule being performed. The <policy> and <schedule> used in the file name must be an exact match to the policy and schedule defined on the master server.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH30603

&

For a given backup, NetBackup uses a single exclude list - the list that contains the most specific name.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO68109

So your backup will only be excluding M: & not what's in the 'default' - when creating more specific excludes you also need to duplicate what's in the more 'generic' excludes

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Don't forget that NetBackup will choose the most specific exclude if there is more than one available

e.g.

exclude_list

exclude_list.policy_name

exclude_list.policy_name.schedule_name

So if it is running a specific schedule it will only look at the exclude list for that specific schedule if it exists and not the exclude_list or exclude_list.policy_name

Andy_Benson1
Level 3

Should it not use all the contents of the base exclude_list, and then in addition apply anything more specific from the .policy_name list ..

so I have a base exclude list, with the out-of-the-box defaults that Symantec give, for all policies, all schedules, to which a few extras have been added, including *.mdf, *.ldf etc...

Then I have a .policy_name list which has just M: in it.

So when I run .policy_name, it should use all the defaults, plus the policy_name exclude.... and any other backup run on the client should only concider the default lists, and ignore the .policy_name list ?

Been using NBU for many years and I don't recall seeing this issue before.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Create bpbkar folder under <install-path>\veritas\netbackup\logs
Use Host Properties to increase client logging level to 3.

After next backup that you feel is bigger than it should be, copy log file in bpbkar folder to bpbkar.txt and upload as File attachment. 

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Sorry for the delay in replying

NetBackup will use only read the exclude_list file that most closely matches the backup policy and schedule being performed. The <policy> and <schedule> used in the file name must be an exact match to the policy and schedule defined on the master server.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH30603

&

For a given backup, NetBackup uses a single exclude list - the list that contains the most specific name.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO68109

So your backup will only be excluding M: & not what's in the 'default' - when creating more specific excludes you also need to duplicate what's in the more 'generic' excludes

Andy_Benson1
Level 3

Seems that this is the solution, I've re-worked my excludes so that the *.mdf etc are all in the 'base' exclude, and also the M:\ drive ...then I've had to set an exception to that exclude to include the M:\ on the required other backup policy.

Odd thing is I've been using NBU and excludes for years and never encountered this issue before, it's always seemingly 'merged' the contents/effect of the base exclude policy and added any further excludes for any based on the policy/schedule before.

It's only since we've put Windows 2012 clients in that this excluding rule actually seems to be in force, although I'm not seeing anything in forums/google indicating anyone has seen this issue ?