Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XML type files not backed up for windows client

Sid1987
Level 6
Certified

Hi Techiz,

I have a weird situation, windows 2008 client backup doesn't back up .config extention file of xml type, where as in file exist on the server, backup is completeling with exit status 0, no exclusion list other than default which excludes netbackup files.

I am not sure what is wrong

Cluster Master server(windows 2008), Netbackup 7.6.0.3

I would be generating bpbkar to find out further when I fire the backup. Anyone any known bug or issue?

Thanks

Sid

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Sounds like the config files for the IIS, which should be backed up through the IIS Config Writer in VSS

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76997 Tells how to see which files is filtered into Shadow Copy Components

Gues you will have to restore the Shadow Copy Components to an alternate path (needs overwrite files checked)

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Where exactly are these files located?

Some files are filtered by Windows into Shadow Copy Components.

To know for sure what is happening, create bpbkar log folder on NBU client and increase logging level to something like a 3.
The bpbkar log will tell us why these files are skipped.

Sid1987
Level 6
Certified

Thanks Mariane for the reply.

It's located at C:\Program Files\Windows\system32\intserv\config

I suspected they might be in Shadow Copy Components, However couldn't find anything there as well. I will generate bpbkar and see what is captured there. I just wanted to know in case any special treatment is there for configuration(.config) files of XML type in Netbackup, which seems no. I thought it should treated as flat file and should be backed up.

Thanks

Sid

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Definitly looks like System State / Shadow Copy Components.

You will not find names exactly the way they look like in Windows Explorer in SCC.
I am not a Windows expert at all, so, cannot tell you what to look for...

Sid1987
Level 6
Certified

Thanks for the prompt response. The file which we are looking for is requested by Application team, I am not pretty sure that he would know how it is backed up in system state. In case I go to windows admin, they would simply say it's your backup tool you should know where or in what form it has been backed up.

So I am stuck in the middle.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Sounds like the config files for the IIS, which should be backed up through the IIS Config Writer in VSS

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76997 Tells how to see which files is filtered into Shadow Copy Components

Gues you will have to restore the Shadow Copy Components to an alternate path (needs overwrite files checked)

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue