cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup and restore issues

John_Constantin
Level 4

Dear sysmantec team:

What is the difference from the process of database backup & restore? as i know, for database backup operation on media server,the bptm child process receives the image and stores it block by block into a shared memory segment on the media server,then the parent bptm process retrieves the image from shared memory and directs it block by block to the allocated storage media.for database restore operation on media server,the parent bptm process reads data from the media or disk and delivers it to shared memory block by block,then the child bptm process delivers the data to the tar process on the client system, which writes the data to the client disk.

So i make a script to test the above that mentioned.

The backup script is as follow:

OPERATION BACKUP
DATABASE "SAPDATA"
SQLHOST "SIH-SQLDB"
NBSERVER "SIH-NETBACKUP"
STRIPES 3
MAXTRANSFERSIZE 6
BLOCKSIZE 7
POLICY SAPDATA_FULL
BROWSECLIENT "SIH-SQLDB"
NUMBUFS 2
ENDOPER TRUE

Result:Successful.

Then i change the script for restore as follow:

OPERATION RESTORE
OBJECTTYPE DATABASE
DATABASE "SAPDATA"
# The following image is type: Full
NBIMAGE "SIH-SQLSRV1.MSSQL7.SIH-SQLDB.db.SAPDATA.~.7.001of003.20140329221029..C"
SQLHOST "SIH-SQLDB"
NBSERVER "SIH-NETBACKUP"
STRIPES 003
BROWSECLIENT "SIH-SQLDB"
MAXTRANSFERSIZE 6
BLOCKSIZE 7
RESTOREOPTION REPLACE
RECOVEREDSTATE RECOVERED
NUMBUFS 2
ENDOPER TRUE

Result:Failed

Then i change the restore script to try again

OPERATION RESTORE
OBJECTTYPE DATABASE
DATABASE "SAPDATA"
NBIMAGE "SIH-SQLSRV1.MSSQL7.SIH-SQLDB.db.SAPDATA.~.7.001of003.20140329221029..C"
SQLHOST "SIH-SQLDB"
NBSERVER "SIH-NETBACKUP"
BROWSECLIENT "SIH-SQLDB"
BLOCKSIZE 7
RESTOREOPTION REPLACE
RECOVEREDSTATE RECOVERED
NUMBUFS 2
ENDOPER TRUE

Result:Successful

Now,why backup operation is successful and restore operation is failed while using stripes 003 and maxtransfersize 6?

6 REPLIES 6

Deb_Wilmot
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If you set STRIPES to 3 versus 003 does it work?

Just wondering since the STRIPES setting is an integer with valid values between 1 and 32.

Deb

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

We cannot tell you why the different parameters resulted in the failed restore. You will need logs to troubleshoot restore failure.

On media server: bptm and bpbrm

On SQL client: dbclient

It is also possible that some parameters are meant for backups only - not restores.

John_Constantin
Level 4

Dear Marianne:

please find the attachments,the restore operation start time is 9:05AM,this timestamp can help you to locate the error info of restore operation which is failed.

John_Constantin
Level 4

here is dbclient log on client system

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

According to NBU for SQL manual, MAXTRANSFERSIZE is supported for backup and restore.

I do see this error in the dbclient log:

09:24:36.895 [1688.6816] <16> CDBbackrec::ProcessVxBSAerror: ERR - Error in DBthreads::dbclient: 6.

Have a look at this TN and see if this is a similar issue: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH212281

John_Constantin
Level 4

i don't think the TN is useful for me, because i am sure what the difference between my two scripts are just only to set stripes to 003 and to set maxtransfersize to 6.what i can find in the TN is that you must add Move and TO to ndf data file,and my script includes them as follow,you can see detail in my attachment

MOVE  "WSS_Content"
TO  "S:\bak_temp\WSS_Content.mdf"
#
#
#  Replace the file path <M:\SQL DB\WSS_Content2.ndf>
#  with a new file path. Also remove the hash mark <#> which precedes the keyword <TO>.
#  The target of the MOVE keyword must be "WSS_Content2".
MOVE  "WSS_Content2"
TO  "S:\bak_temp\WSS_Content2.ndf"
#
#
#  Replace the file path <S:\SQL LOG\WSS_Content_log.LDF>
#  with a new file path. Also remove the hash mark <#> which precedes the keyword <TO>.
#  The target of the MOVE keyword must be "WSS_Content_log".
MOVE  "WSS_Content_log"
TO  "S:\bak_temp\WSS_Content_log.LDF"
#