cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backexe & Netbackup on same server .

Harryten
Level 4

Hi ,

Can I  inatall Backexe & netbackup on the same server .

I know this is not a best practices but please let me know if i can do so ........

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Server or Client install?

You should be able to install Client/remote agent software on the same machine, but do not allow the different product Services on the same machine.
Another issue is that databases (SQL, Oracle, etc) can only be backed up with one product - backup software install agents that will link the internal backup utilities of the database with the particular backup product.

As far as filesystem backups are concerned, Full and Incremental backups will also be problematic as both products will attempt to clear Archive bits.

Server installation will not work. 

As Craig said - backup devices can only be controlled by one backup application. 
Software installation of 2nd procuct will also fail with this error message:

"PostgreSQL is already installed on this machine.  Uninstall the existing PostgreSQL and retry this setup."

So - in summary, don't do it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

No, certain commands will conflict with each other, and if I remember correct, some commands will fail to work 'as expected'.

Also, it's not supported.

Martin

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

I don't see any issue with commands...only control over a library for instance. And I don't know why you'd want 2 different backup applications on the same server. Basically not worth it.

Thanks!

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Server or Client install?

You should be able to install Client/remote agent software on the same machine, but do not allow the different product Services on the same machine.
Another issue is that databases (SQL, Oracle, etc) can only be backed up with one product - backup software install agents that will link the internal backup utilities of the database with the particular backup product.

As far as filesystem backups are concerned, Full and Incremental backups will also be problematic as both products will attempt to clear Archive bits.

Server installation will not work. 

As Craig said - backup devices can only be controlled by one backup application. 
Software installation of 2nd procuct will also fail with this error message:

"PostgreSQL is already installed on this machine.  Uninstall the existing PostgreSQL and retry this setup."

So - in summary, don't do it.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

There is a definate issue, as I've seen it personally.  It was some time back and I can't remember which command it was, but the installation of both products caused at least one command to give incorrect output.

RLeon
   VIP   

In my case, Client Deduplication stopped working for both the NetBackup Client and the Backup Exec Remote Agent. It wasn't surprising seeing how both use the same deduplication technology. One might have overwritten something from the other, then ended its own life after. Who knows what other things might have been corrupted.

Don't do it, man. I am so sorry I did it. I'm so sorry.