cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bpclimagelist is hanged

UNIX_PCS1
Level 2

Hello,

I've a strange issue with the bpclimagelist command.

If I don't put the "-s" attribute in my command line, it's simply don't work.

So, to sum up:

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpclimagelist don't work.

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpclimagelist -U -s 04/10/2015 works perfectly.

I run the command under a linux RHEL 6.6 and my Netbackup version is NetBackup-RedHat2.6.18 7.5.0.4.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

UNIX_PCS1
Level 2

Hello everyone,

We've finally found the problem.

The MTU parameter was set to 9000 in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 on the ethernet adapter who handle netbackup traffic.

When you set the parameter to 1500, the bpclimagelist command works again without attributes.

Regards.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

If you don't specify a start date bpimagelist only searches 12 hours back (as I recall it).

I am not near a Netbackup installation right now to check the documentation

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
To know what search criteria is sent to the master without specifying a start date, you will need logs on the master server : bprd and bpdbm. I would expect the default to be 12 or 24 hours, but it may very well be 'ealiest available '. If the master has a very big image database, this may take a long time, appearing like a hang.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

The bpclimagelist command (no switches) works fine on NetBackup v7.6.0.4 on Windows, and the list includes the first (and only) full in my test environment of a full backup taken in late 2014 - appears to do what Marianne has said - and list back to at least most recent full.

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

The default value of the "-s" option is 6 months back from the current date.

Try the command with a start value of "-s 0" to see if it still hangs. You can further filter the results with "-T" for only True Image backups and with the "-t FULL | INCR" to list only FULL or INCR images only.

BTW, BMR makes use of the bpclimagelist when doing a Prepare To Restore function.

UNIX_PCS1
Level 2

Hello,

Thanks everyone for fast answers.

I will check with backup team to see logs on master as suggested by Marianne.

In fact, it's odd, because the command is very fast with -s attribute until 04/10/2015. Before this date, the command is hanging.

I've tried ./bpclimagelist -s 0, but the format is invalid.

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

My apologies for the error in the syntax. It is a change in later releases.

You need to preceed the use of " -s " and "  -e " with a "-X" option if the date used is a ctime. The invocation should have been:

bpclimagelist -X -s 0 -client $client_name

How efficiently does this process work when invoked from the Admin Console (i.e.use the "Catalog" tab to display backup images)?.

There is also a secondary command "bpimagelist" that can be used to display information as well.

UNIX_PCS1
Level 2

Hello,

This is the result of the command bpclimagelist -X -s 0 -client $client_name, invocated from a media server :

$ bpclimagelist -X -s 0 -client "xxxxxxx"

Backed Up         Expires       Files      KB     C Sched Type      Policy

----------------  ---------- -------- ----------- - ---------------

------------

04/22/2015 19:00  05/27/2015     8625      226278 N Incr Backup

MUT-UNX-NBU-DI-H1

04/21/2015 19:00  05/26/2015     8604      183665 N Incr Backup

MUT-UNX-NBU-DI-H1

04/21/2015 15:14  05/26/2015     8692      239549 N Incr Backup

MUT-UNX-NBU-DI-H1

(...)

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

How far back does the output go?

Moral of the story - it seems that without a start-date, the entire NBU image catalog is searched.
Depending on the size, this may take a very long time, appearing to hang.

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

I would presume that the data presented is valid and correct.  That being the case, how long did it take to process and display the information?  The original abstract spoke of a hang in the process. Using the "-X -s 0" option, it seems to not have hung and it seems to have run to proper completion. Does the information displayed and the time to do it match up with what you were seeing when you used the "-s 04/10/2015 " option?  Does the use of the "-U" option have an effect on the display? Any particular reason for the use of the "-U" option.

As I previously stated, the default start date is current date minus 6 months and the default end date is end of epoch. Format of the start and end dates is  "MM/DD/YYYY HH:MM:SS" unless the option is preceded with the "-X" option, which then makes the date a ctime format.

Other options available to filter the results:

[- client client_name ]   [-ct client_type ]   [-t policy_type ]   [-policy policy_name ] [-server server_name ]

Things to be aware of:

If a client name is not specified, it defaults to the name of the client issuing the command.
If a client type is not specified, it defaults to the type of the client issuing the command. ( -ct 0 = Unix/Linux, -ct 13 = Windows )
If a server name is not specified, it defaults to the name of the Master Server, as seen by the issuing client.

As an example, if the command, without options, is invoked from the Windows client "MyClient" with Master Server name "MyMaster", the invocation is equivalent to the command:

bpclimagelist -client MyClient -server MyMaster -ct 13

If invoked from a Linux client named "MyLinux", it becomes:

bpclimagelist -client MyLinux -server MyMaster -ct 0

All of this works perfectly well on  NBU 7.5.0.7 and 7.6.0.4 Windows and Linux test clients I tried it on.

So how does all of this jive with the behavior you indicate you have on the server you tried it out?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

@UNIX_PCS1 :  I always specify a start date to be sure I get the right answer - I suggest adopt this habit too :D

UNIX_PCS1
Level 2

Hello everyone,

We've finally found the problem.

The MTU parameter was set to 9000 in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 on the ethernet adapter who handle netbackup traffic.

When you set the parameter to 1500, the bpclimagelist command works again without attributes.

Regards.