cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bpup creates four cmd process

vbdino
Level 2
When executing bpup, a couple of cmd processes gets created but drops back to 4 processes after bpup terminated. I check with -v and all processes started successfully. I am currently running 6.0 mp4.

Do you have the same situation and is there a way not to have any cmd processes left after running bpup, or can they be terminated safely?

Richard.
5 REPLIES 5

TimBurlowski
Employee Accredited
I think you are seeing some of the normal processes that NetBackup launches. You might want to check a tool like "Process Explorer". I'm willing to be the cmd processes you see are the ones associated the nbproxy and pbx_exchange. If so they are normal and you don't need to do anything. The number of them may increase depending on activity.

vbdino
Level 2
Sometimes, I want to kill a cmd process for some reasons. What happen if I kill a cmd process that was associated to nbproxy?

Thanks

Richard

TimBurlowski
Employee Accredited
If you kill the cmd window, the child process nbproxy will also die.

There might be exceptions, but this is what I expect.

The next question probably is "What will happen when the proxy dies?" It all depends on which proxy you killed. If you killed the nbproxy that is started by nbjm you would end up with nbjm in a bad state since nbjm is depending on inter-process communication facilitated by the proxy. If you kill the cmd processes, you will kill the nbproxy process which could mean that you have essentially hung up on some key communication in NetBackup. Your best course of action would be to restart NetBackup.

Is there a reason why you want to kill these cmd processes?

vbdino
Level 2
It is because the task scheduler in Windows 2003, doesn't have the interactive mode. So when we start a batch file with the scheduler and something goes wrong, I don't have a window, so I can't answer the question that is blocking the batch file. All I see is the cmd process, but I don't know which one it is.

TimBurlowski
Employee Accredited
I suggest process explorer. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

In the tree view it will be apparent, which window is which one.