Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot connect on socket, status 25

vivisquirrel
Not applicable

hello, everybody, environment is like this:
Master: nbu 7.0.1, SuSE 11 SP1
Client: nbu 7.0.1, MS XP SP3

i have installed nbu client on xp, it shows 'cannot connect on socket' when i view the connection between client and server in host propperties. i have done the following steps to troubleshoot it:
1. use bpclntcmd -ip/bpclntcmd -hn on master, and bpclntcmd -pn on client, everything is ok.

2. use bptestbpcd -client on master, it shows the following:
bptestbpcd -client client_Name
<16>bptestbpcd main: Function ConnectToBPCD(xxx) failed: 25
cannot connect on socket
and bpcd log from client is:
14:44:23.453 [2268.1804] <2> setup_debug_log: switched debug log file for bpcd
14:44:23.453 [2268.1804] <2> bpcd main: VERBOSE = 0
14:44:23.453 [2268.1804] <2> logparams: C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\bpcd.exe -standalone 
14:44:23.453 [2268.1804] <2> process_requests: offset to GMT -28800
14:44:23.468 [2268.1804] <2> logconnections: getsockname(380) failed
14:44:23.468 [2268.1804] <16> bpcd setup_sockopts: setsockopt 2 failed: h_errno 10038
14:44:23.468 [2268.1804] <2> process_requests: setup_sockopts complete
14:44:23.468 [2268.1804] <16> bpcd peer_hostname: getpeername: Socket operation on non-socket 
14:44:23.468 [2268.1804] <16> process_requests: Couldn't get peer hostname

3. i check the bpcd status on client
bpcd is running well, as follows:
C:\ >netstat -an | find /i "13782"
TCP    0.0.0.0:13782          0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
and telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 13782 is ok.

4.i also delete the files on host_cache from master and client.

i really don't know how to do next, i don't understand what bpcd log shows? who knows this? thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

"i still don't know how to find what 3rd-party application result in this"

You need to work with your Windows Admin to find out.

All we know from NBU point of view is that SOMETHING is blocking NBU. There is no way that we can say or find out by just looking at NBU logs.

Work with your Admins, check software in Add/Remove programs, check AV settings, check for any sort of security/intrusion software.

This is proof that 'something else' is closing connecting:

we can see 13782 on client is ok, but soon the connection is closed by something on client, so i have also a doubt that something on client prevent the connection between client and server.

As a matter of interest - NBU uses vnetd (13724) as from 6.0 and PBX (1556) as from 7.0.1.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Create a bpcd folder under netbackup\logs\ on the client

Then try to connect again and lets see what it says in the log file

Obviously make sure no firewalls in active

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

As what Mark suggested, create the bpcd log on the client.

The check the log after running bptestbpcd -client <client_name>

Check the log file. If there is no new log data, the connection is not getting to the client at all.

walker_yang
Level 4
Partner
the step 2 have done what you suggest, bpcd log from client have been posted. but i cannot understand what it syas.

walker_yang
Level 4
Partner
I have done this in the post, but i don't know what the bpcd means. can u help me look at it? thanks

Marianne
Level 6
14:44:23.468 [2268.1804] <2> logconnections: getsockname(380) failed
14:44:23.468 [2268.1804] <16> bpcd setup_sockopts: setsockopt 2 failed: h_errno 10038

'Something' in your client is preventing socket setup.

It could be some 3rd-party application or else problematic NBU client installation.

There have been various threads in this forum where removal and re-installation of NBU client software solved the problem.

For examples of 3rd-party software causing connect-back problems, see http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH88628

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

On your client create a directory named bpcd under:

<installpath>\veritas\netbackup\logs\

When you then try and connect to it or run the commands from the Master Server it will create a log file

Post the contents of that on here for us to take a look

#EDIT#

Sorry - I see now that you did that - As Marianne says something is blocking the communication - check that there are no firewalls or anti virus blocking it

also check that a ping delivers the correct IP addresses in both directions (master to client to master)

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

You should see an incoming IP address from the source host to the client in the bpcd log.

Can your client resolve that IP address to a name? Is the name in the SERVER list for the client

Does your client have a network route to it?

How many network interfaces does your client have?

walker_yang
Level 4
Partner
First thanks for your reply. when "bpcd setup_sockopts: setsockopt 2 failed: h_errno 10038" shows in the bpcd log, you say 'something' in client is preventing socket setup. and something may be some 3rd-party application or nbu client installation problems, Are there any other reasons related to this problem?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Apart from the NetBackup Client Service not actually running the most likely causes are:

1. A firewall

2. Anti Virus (application protection etc.) blocking its communication

3. DNS / Host name resolution

Marianne
Level 6

'any other reasons related to this problem?'

As I've said in my previous post, 2 possible reasons:

1. Faulty NBU installation - fixed by re-installation.
2. 3rd-party application preventing socket setup.

****EDIT****

One more thing:

The OS compatibility Guide says the following about XP SP2 (possibly same for SP3?):

Reference Article: TECH32041  for Windows XP SP2 firewall considerations.

walker_yang
Level 4
Partner
Hi, Marianne I have re-installed NBU Client software, but the same problem. I refer to the thread you gave, it's an example of 3rd-party software causing this problem. It only list some 3rd-party application, i still don't know how to find what 3rd-party application result in this. can you give me a common way to find the exact 3rd-party application? In addtion, i make a test on Linux using telnet client_ip 13782, as follows: telnet 10.1.1.10 13782 Trying 10.1.1.10... Connected to 10.1.1.10. Escape character is '^]'. Connection closed by foreign host. we can see 13782 on client is ok, but soon the connection is closed by something on client, so i have also a doubt that something on client prevent the connection between client and server. thanks so much

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Can you check a few things then please and let us know what you find:

1. What anti virus is installed on the client

2. Does the client have any form of firewall enabled

3. Is there anything in the application or system event logs of any note at around the time of the disconnect - on the client

4. Is the clients network card set to full duplex

Thanks

Marianne
Level 6

Have you had a look at TECH32041  yet? (Windows XP SP2 firewall considerations).

The assumption is that it will be applicable for SP3 as well.

Either disable firewall or add ports as per the TN. Please add ports 13724 (vnetd) and 1556 (PBX) as well.

walker_yang
Level 4
Partner
Thanks Mariranne I have had a look at it, and I have disabled firewall, same problem.

Marianne
Level 6

"i still don't know how to find what 3rd-party application result in this"

You need to work with your Windows Admin to find out.

All we know from NBU point of view is that SOMETHING is blocking NBU. There is no way that we can say or find out by just looking at NBU logs.

Work with your Admins, check software in Add/Remove programs, check AV settings, check for any sort of security/intrusion software.

This is proof that 'something else' is closing connecting:

we can see 13782 on client is ok, but soon the connection is closed by something on client, so i have also a doubt that something on client prevent the connection between client and server.

As a matter of interest - NBU uses vnetd (13724) as from 6.0 and PBX (1556) as from 7.0.1.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Just re-read your very first post and saw this "Couldn't get peer hostname" and

C:\ >netstat -an | find /i "13782"

TCP    0.0.0.0:13782          0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING

Make sure you have full reverse lookup working and if needs be use hosts files.

It looks like host name resolution may be the issue or even that the client does not know it own name?

Show us the output, run on the client, of blclntcmd -self

Check that you can ping the Master from the client and vice versa