cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

client backup failing

Arun_K
Level 6

In my trainig i was told that media server takes the backup of the client

Here a client backup is failing and we are pinging and telnetting the bpcd port of client  from master server .Why so?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

You would need to run it from the Master server AND the media server if your policy is configured for ALL_LOCAL_BACKUPS. The master needs the drives/filesystem information (via bpmount from the client).

If you are specifying the drives/filesystems/directories to backup directly, then yes, you run it from the media server to ensure it can communicate.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Yes media server will back up a client. 

What is the backup failing with, there is always an error code. If you can copy/paste the Detailed Status information (Click on the jobid in Activity Monitor and then on the Detailed Status tab)

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Well, a ping/ telnet from the master may show up basic network issues.

Additionally, if you use ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES as a policy directive, the master contacts a client to get a list of the filesystems.

So ... this could be a valid troubleshooting step.

However, as we don't know in what way the backup is failing we can't help much.

HINT.  Don't bother telling us the backup is failing with Status code 6 - that is a generic error, backups always fail with status 6, it tells us nothing.

As a guess, I'd start troubleshooting with the deails in device monitor for the failed job + logs

media  - bptm and bpbrm

client - bpcd / bpbkar

However, depending on where the problem is, could mean other logs are required, and also what type of backup could/ would change the logs.

Martin

Arun_K
Level 6

Then why we are pinging from master server or telnet from master?

We should do it from media server.Why from master server?Any reason?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I don't know, it's not me running the command.

As I said, it shows basic connectivity, but I would start from the media.  BUT - without details of what the type of backup is and details in activity monitor (for the failing job) we /I am guessing.

ping is not really a good test anyway - some network admins disable ping, so it will always fail.

Martin

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Forget about telnet to bpcd.
We used that in pre-6.0 when no NBU test-utility was available and connection was only made to bpcd.

NBU 7.x no longer connects to bpcd directly.
As from 7.0.1, NBU will first attempt to connect to pbx (1556). If that fails, it will attempt vnetd (13724), if that fails as well, bpcd will be tried.

Rather use bptestbpcd to test connectivity.
This utility tests forward and reverse name lookup as well as port connectivity.
Important to ensure bpcd log folder exists on the client before using the command on master and/or media server.

See these posts:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/telnet

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/bpcd

Arun_K
Level 6

My query was why we run this bptestbpcd from master server?

It is media server which is taking the backup of the client

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

You would need to run it from the Master server AND the media server if your policy is configured for ALL_LOCAL_BACKUPS. The master needs the drives/filesystem information (via bpmount from the client).

If you are specifying the drives/filesystems/directories to backup directly, then yes, you run it from the media server to ensure it can communicate.