cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

database server is down (23)

skiwi
Level 3

Hi,

We are runnning NBU 6.0MP6 on Windows Server 2003 with a clustered Master server and 2 media servers. We are interminently getting this error:

database server is down (23)

I have noticed this when running commands like vmchange in a script though will only happen on a couple of the carts in the list but will work fine for the rest.

Occasionally it gets so bad that we can't access the EMM database at all and we lose access to the media servers and their silo's and we have to do and full reboot of everything to get things working again. We found info online talking about full drives causing this which did seem to be the case this weekend and we cleaned up one of the drives on the media server where the database lives. But now I have just tried using the mwchange command and seem to be still getting the error.

Cheers

Craig

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please check processes/daemons running on the master when you get the error.

I have only ever seen this error when offline catalog backup was in progress.

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Try this it may help you.

How to perform a consistency check of the NetBackup EMM and BMR databases using the command line or NetBackup "dbadmin" utility.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH126758

Rathore
Level 3

- Check for low disk space on the install path

-If this is the condition then try lowering down the verbosity of the logs to claim some space

-Check the Emm logs for any corba excpetion errors ,you can also check for the TAO logs

-Try to clear up the TAo files under /var/global

-Check for any networkk connectivity issue\

-If this is happening after the restart of the service that EMM is not coming up then check if database is set to start Automatically which you can make out from the nbdb_admin switches

skiwi
Level 3

Thanks for responses,

We only run hot catalog backups so that shouldn't cause this issue.

Will have to wait till we have a quiet time to do the database consistency check, anyone have any idea how long this normally takes?

Not sure what TAO files are or how to check them, the path suggested looks like a unix path we are on Windows. Service is set to auto, no network issues have been noticed and logging is off. We did clean drives up a bit so drive space shouldn't be an issue.

Cheers

Craig

Zahid_Haseeb

"""" can't access the EMM database """"

1.) I am not confident but see, may be some antivirus stopping EMM database

2.) Recently did you patched something ?

Zahid_Haseeb

The NetBackup 6.x release uses the Common Object Request Broker Architecture (CORBA) with The Ace Orb (TAO) for communication between the Enterprise Media Manager (EMM) and other NetBackup services.  

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH54432