cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

device manager service fails to start

Houssam
Level 2
Partner

hi all we are having an issue with a netbackup master server and a media server, this is the environement discription :

Master server Name : bck01
Master server NetBackup Version : 7.6.1
Master server OS : win2012 r2 standard

Media Server Name : bck02
Media Server NetBackup Version : 7.6.1
Media Server OS : win2012 r2 standard

Media Server Name : bck03
Media Server NetBackup Version : 7.6.1
Media Server OS : win2012 r2 standard

Client Name : all
Client NetBackup Version : all
Client OS : all

Robot on SAN with 4 drives.

we have two media servers, bck02 (controler of the robot ) and bck03, we installed the correct pilotes and drivers of the hardware with the latest firmwares, the OS of all the servers can correctly see the robot and bck02 is working fine, but after the installation of bck03(media) and the restarting of bck01(master) the device manager service on both servers fails to start, with no errors on windows event viewer, on bck01 also the key management service fails too.
bck02 is using only two drives from the robot and fails to connect to emm database, i believe that is because of failing device manager services on the master.
I checked the license.txt on the servers and noticed that the files from the media servers are diffirent comparing the file on the master, is that ok ?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

<install_path>\veritas\volmgr\vm.conf is there but <install_path>\veritas\volmgr\debug\ltid\ and <install_path>\veritas\volmgr\debug\ltid\robots\ are not, how do i create those files ?

Use mkdir  or in file explorer, just create them as directories

> When clicking on Properties - Additional Information, you see the message "No shared storage option license installed".

Lets see the output of: bpminlicense -verbose

If you are sharing drives, but do not have SSO license on all the servers, then you will have problems with drives, and hence no wonder the ltid won't start.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

> of all the servers can correctly see the robot

Only the RCH needs to have the robot zoned

> and bck02 is working fine, but after the installation of bck03(media) and the restarting of bck01(master) the device manager service on both servers fails to start, with no errors on windows event viewer, on bck01 also the key management service fails too.

NetBackup Device Manager? Do you have these log directories created? If not, create them, add VERBOSE to <install_path>\veritas\volmgr\vm.conf and restart the media server NetBackup daemons

<install_path>\veritas\volmgr\debug\ltid\

<install_path>\veritas\volmgr\debug\ltid\robots\

> bck02 is using only two drives from the robot and fails to connect to emm database, i believe that is because of failing device manager services on the master.

More likely that the device manager is failing to start because it cannot connect to the EMM database
Can you run from this server:

nbemmcmd -getemmserver
bpclntcmd -pn
bpclntcmd -self

> I checked the license.txt on the servers and noticed that the files from the media servers are diffirent comparing the file on the master, is that ok ?

Different in what way?

Houssam
Level 2
Partner

>NetBackup Device Manager? Do you have these log directories created?

<install_path>\veritas\volmgr\vm.conf is there but <install_path>\veritas\volmgr\debug\ltid\ and <install_path>\veritas\volmgr\debug\ltid\robots\ are not, how do i create those files ?

>more likely that the device manager is failing to start because it cannot connect to the EMM

on bck02 the device manager is starting and somtimes it shoes a popup saying that it can not connect to emm database on the bck01 where device manager is down, but it's not starting on bck01(master) and bck02 (media)

when i execute the commands the media servers detects bck01 as emm server

>Different in what way?

the content is not the same.

Now i'm suspecting a license issue, because when using NetBackup Configuration Wizard to Configure Storage Devices for a second media server, the drives are detected with a limitation.
When clicking on Properties - Additional Information, you see the message "No shared storage option license installed".

but when i execute bpminlicense -verbose it shows shared storage license with license type = 1 Permanent

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Use mkdir  or in file explorer, just create them as directories

> When clicking on Properties - Additional Information, you see the message "No shared storage option license installed".

Lets see the output of: bpminlicense -verbose

If you are sharing drives, but do not have SSO license on all the servers, then you will have problems with drives, and hence no wonder the ltid won't start.

Houssam
Level 2
Partner

hi,

the problem was in the licenses, in the help section on the admin consol we can see that the SSO license, even when i execute bpminlicense -verbose it shows shared storage license with license type = 1 Permanent (seems that does not mean that the lisences are there on the media server)

but when using the command below on the media servers : 

...veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd>bpminlicense.exe -list_keys -verbose

we discovered that there are no SSO license and no Library Based Tape Drive license so we added them manually

...veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd>bpminlicense.exe -add_keys XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

we removed drives and robots then added them and everything is working great.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Good job. That error was a big give away :)