Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

drive status = restart

Stumpr2
Level 6
NetBackup 6.0 MP4

vmoprcmd shows the tapedrive status as RESTART
I can't find documentation on what RESTART means as applied to this command.
It's too common of a term to do any practical searches.
What does the status RESTART mean?

oh, BTW, I was able to correct it by restarting netbackupMessage was edited by:
Backup Bob
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
DOCUMENTATION: What are some of the situations where is it necessary to restart daemons / services in VERITAS NetBackup (tm) 6.0?

http://support.veritas.com/docs/281317

Changing the device (robot/drive) configuration
When adding, removing or modifying a device, some restarts may be necessary depending on the situation.
Adding: The ltid daemon on all the media servers that access the device need to be restarted.
Modifying: Daemon restart (on one or more than one media server) may or may not be required depending on the device attributes that are changed.
- If an attribute like drive cleaning frequency is changed, then no daemons need to be restarted.
- If an attribute like drive type or robot number is changed, then ltid on all the media servers that access the device need to be restarted.
- If the status column of vmoprcmd displays RESTART for a device path, then the media server corresponding to the device path needs to be restarted. In addition, if the robot attributes are changed, then ltid on the server acting as the robot control host may have to be restarted.
Deleting: No daemons need to be restarted.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Jed_Gresham
Level 4
Employee Accredited
Status restart usually indicates that changes have been made to the device configuration that requires LTID to be restarted.

Ankur_Kumar
Level 5
Hi Jed,
Could you please pass on the related tech note or the Documentation.

ciao
Ankur Kumar

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
DOCUMENTATION: What are some of the situations where is it necessary to restart daemons / services in VERITAS NetBackup (tm) 6.0?

http://support.veritas.com/docs/281317

Changing the device (robot/drive) configuration
When adding, removing or modifying a device, some restarts may be necessary depending on the situation.
Adding: The ltid daemon on all the media servers that access the device need to be restarted.
Modifying: Daemon restart (on one or more than one media server) may or may not be required depending on the device attributes that are changed.
- If an attribute like drive cleaning frequency is changed, then no daemons need to be restarted.
- If an attribute like drive type or robot number is changed, then ltid on all the media servers that access the device need to be restarted.
- If the status column of vmoprcmd displays RESTART for a device path, then the media server corresponding to the device path needs to be restarted. In addition, if the robot attributes are changed, then ltid on the server acting as the robot control host may have to be restarted.
Deleting: No daemons need to be restarted.

Stumpr2
Level 6
When i saw the state as being "restart" i sorta kinda figured out it needed to be restarted ;)

i was just curious about the cause....b'cause, i hadn't seen it before.